The Babysitter

This is the day that I'd never thought would come.

I, Kim Taeyeon, will be a babysitter.

But I need money and the offer is quite a catch so I accepted it.

I'm studying for my master's degree in Fine Arts at Seoul University and my part time as a professor there isn't enough for my expenses. I'm studying there for free but there are a lot of expenses in school and I'm still supporting my younger sister for her studies too. Not only in school, I'm also paying bills.

I'm living with my younger sister, her name is Lalisa Manoban. I know, we're not sisters by blood. My parents died when I was in middle school, I had to work for my studies. I met Lisa on the street when I was in college, she's an orphan like me. We became friends at first then later on, I invited her to live with me because she had no place to live, and she was just sleeping on the street. I thought that it was very dangerous for her because she's a girl. I trust her and we became close like siblings. 

After I graduated college, I decided to support her studies and now, she's in college taking Fine Arts too since photography is also included in that course.

I noticed that she likes taking pictures and she told me that she wants to be a photographer. I'm glad that she knows what she wants.

She has a part time job as a barista in a cafe but I won't let her pay bills so she just provides what she earns for her school stuffs. She's responsible, kind and smart girl. She's also famous in the University. Anyway, we have the same University.

I love Lisa and I treat her like a real sister. I will do anything for her even if I have to be a babysitter. Don't get me wrong, I'm degrading the job of a babysitter. It's just... I don't like kids, I'm not fond of them.

But as I said, the offer is quite high since it's the University President's daughter.

Mr. Hwang is close to my heart, he's like a father to me and I'm glad to help him. I asked him if he could give me a job while I'm studying and he gave this offer. I will look after his daughter then I will get 1500 USD for just a week and my food is also free. Can you imagine that? That's really awesome!

That will provide our bills for a month even if I don't teach as a part time professor anymore. Mr. Hwang wants me to focus on her daughter so I will take care of her daughter Mondays through Fridays, from 7 am to 7 pm. He trusts me with this matter so I will do my best.

I'm walking in his house as the maid is leading me to his office, I will sign the contract.

"This is his office Miss," the maid politely said as she pointed to the door.

"Thank you," I said.

She bowed to me and I did the same then she left me.

I knocked on the door then I heard Mr. Hwang said "Come in" so I did. I entered his office and greeted him with a smile.

I bowed to him as I approached his table "Annyeong haseyo Mr. Hwang."

He smiled at me "Hello Taeyeon, please have a seat," he offered.

I nodded and took a seat at the side of his table where the chair was placed "Thank you."

"So, here's the contract that you will be signing," he gave me a folder then I gladly took it. I opened it and read the content. It was a simple and precise contract.

"Actually I have a request Taeyeon..." He said as he tapped his fingers on the table.

"Yes Mr. Hwang, what is it?"

"I want you to live here," he looked straight in my eyes. He looked very adamant, indeed.

My eyes widened "What? Live here?" I asked in disbelief. "Mr. Hwang I'm sorry but I have a younger sister," I nervously laughed.

"Taeyeon, I know it's too much to ask but I will change the offer if you accept it. I will give you a house and a car. And still, I will give you 1500 US dollars every week as a payment. You can also bring your sister and live here. I have enough rooms for both of you," he insisted.

His offer is really good. House and car plus 1500 usd per week. Then we will just live here with them, I don't need to rent an apartment anymore.

"Plus, everything is free here. You don't have to pay bills and buy food," he added confidently.

I gulped. What's this? It feels like I win a jackpot.

"But Mr. Hwang, I think it's too much."

He shook his head "It's for my daughter and Taeyeon, you're also like a daughter to me so I want to help you. Please accept the offer."

I have to be practical and this is a good offer.

I took a deep breath "Okay Mr. Hwang, I will accept it."

He smiled widely "Thank you Taeyeon," he took a box from his drawer then handed it to me. "This is for you."

I accepted it.

"Open it," he instructed.

I opened it and saw keys. There are a bunch of keys in a chain then there's a separate big key, it looks like a car key.

"It's all yours now Taeyeon, those keys are for the house and car. Your house is just next to ours and the car is just at the parking area," he explained.

I gaped at him, still processing the situation.

"Anyway, the house is not finish yet. It will take a couple of months before you can move there. So while waiting, you can live here with your sister," he stood up so I did the same.

"Okay Mr. Hwang, thank you so much for this," I happily said.

"You deserve it Taeyeon and we don't need contract for this. I trust you," he smiled and seemed satisfied.

I smiled "I will do my best Mr. Hwang."

"Your only job here is to take care of Tiffany, nothing more than that. You don't need to do other things, you just need to focus on her. She needs attention and understanding. I know you're studying for your master's degree and you can do that whenever you need it, just don't forget to look after my daughter," he instructed firmly.

"How about weekends Mr. Hwang? I have classes every weekend."

"Oh yes... hmm..." He held his chin as he thought of it.

"My sister will look after her, I only have morning classes so I'll be back here after lunch," I suggested.

He smiled nodding "Okay Taeyeon... so, everything is settled now."

I nodded "Yes Mr. Hwang."

Then we heard a knock at the door "Daddy, are you there?" We heard a voice yelled.

"Oh great. My daughter is here." He said. "Yes baby, come in!" He sweetly answered his daughter.

I looked at the door then a beautiful woman entered, her smile was captivating, it looked like her eyes were also smiling.

She looked at me as she walked to us "Daddy, is she my new babysitter?" She asked like a child.

"Yes baby, this is Taeyeon and Taeyeon, this is my daughter, Tiffany." He introduced.

I mouth fell open.

I will babysit a fully grown woman?

No shit.

×