Commencement Night

It had been half an hour since the Annual Purge had commenced.
Your family already finished dinner and your mom and dad would be watching the news while your brother played video games. You had left saying you'd get some rest and sleep off this night. You supported the purge and at times you did want to participate...but first off your family wouldn't even think for one second of letting you go outside, let alone kill anyone even if it was legal. So you got ready for bed in your white nightgown and layed down. You were on your phone as usual and were texting your friend Rhys. "Hey Rhys, so what you up to? Watching the news?" He didn't reply for about twenty minutes and you'd figured he'd be sleeping since he didn't reply. So you put your phone to charge and took a nap. You suddenly were awaken when you heard your phone go off. You checked to see who was calling and it was him. You answered groggily and said hello. "Hey ___, sorry for not texting you...I just wanted to talk to you instead or rather...if you'd be willing to..maybe in person?" "Rhys are you messing with me?? I'm not going outside!" You yelled into the phone quietly. "___ it's important and it deals with you...look don't worry about it. We'll discuss it shortly." "No, tell me what's going on? Also pleeeease tell me you're not outside?!" "I'd be lying if I said no.." You didn't reply and all he could hear through the phone was a faint cry. This was your only best friend in school and he was out on purge night doing what only god knows. You were terrified of something happening to him and if something did, it'd be unbearable. "___, please don't cry...trust me nothing is going to happen to me, you'll see." With that said he hung up and you tried calling back and texting but to no avail he never answered. You were both mad and terrified at the same time. You just sat there in bed crying to yourself. 'Please Rhys...' You said faintly. You stopped while you heard gunshots that sounded nearby. Tears slowly dripped down your cheek at the thought of him dying. The shots seem to get closer so you walked over slowly and peeked outside. There had been a group of people or a family loaded with weapons and wearing sinister, smiling masks. What made you tremble is that they were jumping the fence and within seconds will be at your front door.