4. Creepy Old Guy

"So what's on the agenda for today?" He asked as I reached the top of the stairs. He was leaning with his back on the railing, watching me as I made my way past him towards my room.

"Unpacking. Alone time. A party later." Three things that definitely did not involve him. "And I'm going to take a shower, so you need to leave."

"Awe, I can't join ya?" He whined, following after me as I stepped into my room. I stood in the doorway, my hand on the door that I was about to swing closed.

"It certainly smells like you could use one. But there's no way in hell I'm letting you past this door while I shower. You're more than welcome to use it tonight, when I'm gone." With that, I closed the door. I didn't hear a peep of complaint from him, and I let out a sigh of relief at the silence that came from the other side of the door.

I grabbed a bath towel from an unpacked bathroom box, curling it over my arm as I made my way towards the bathroom connected to the small bedroom. Within a few minutes, I was showered and changed into my outfit for the day.

I was never one for flashy style, or fancifulness. Today I'd pulled on an oversized black sweater and a pair of light wash jeans, matching black socks pulled over my feet.

I made my way over to a small stack of boxes, humming to myself as I circled around them, reading their labels one at a time. Bathroom things, vanity decorations. A nice, calm day of unpacking was all that I wanted.

My plans quickly changed upon opening my first still-packed box, marked 'plant care'. I yelped when I made eye-contact with my unwanted roommates pasty, dead face inside the box. "Jesus, do you really have to scare me like that?" I muttered, letting the flaps fall back over his face and moving to another box to try again. Soon enough, he had materialized himself behind me again.

"What can I say, I love to see you squirm..." he chuckled as I felt his eyes on me, looking me up and down from behind. I turned to face him, seating myself on the edge of my bed so that he was forced to stop eyeing me up.

"How long have you been in there?" I asked, trying to shift him away from his insistent flirting.

"In the box? A minute or so. But trust me, babes. I've been here the whoooole time." He wiggled his eyebrows at me, and I felt my face heat up.

"You're a fucking creep," I muttered, my eyes narrowing in disgust and disapproval. My cheeks continued to betray me with a blush as the moments passed on.

Did that mean he'd seen me in the shower? Getting dressed? What kind of sick-

"Yes." he chuckled, "I did. And don't even get me started on how absolutely bangin' you are, babes. If you'd just let me get my hands on you..."

Did he just..

"Read your mind? Answer you? You know it, sweetheart. I bet you'd be amazed to see just how much I can do."

"Get out of my fucking head." I was heating up, both from anger and from embarrassment. I couldn't believe he'd gone against my wishes.

Well... maybe I could believe it. He didn't really seem like the type to listen.

A three year old. He was acting like a three year old.

"And get out of my room. And stop calling me that stupid nickname."

"I'm sorry I made you mad.." He had a stupid, pathetic pout on his face. Pathetic, but convincing. Once again, he was acting like he was no more than three years old. "Just please let me stay.. you keep me company, don't you understand? I've been alone for so long-"

"No. Get out. You should've listened if you wanted to have any chance of hanging out with me."

"But babes! You're just so pretty.. you understand, don't you? Please?" My cheeks darkened to a deep red.

"Out." I pointed to the door, now. I was firm, and I wasn't going to change my mind. I barely even knew him, and he wasn't exactly giving me the best first impression.

Before he disappeared into a plume of smoke, I swore I saw a streak of purple push through his hair. So different from the bright green that it usually was, it was hard to miss, even as he vanished before my eyes.

I let my eyes close, and a sigh of relief leave my lips. I felt my whole body relax, my shoulders becoming much less tense than they had been when Beetlejuice was present in the room.

I didn't hate him. What I felt was far from hatred. It was just... new. I didn't know how to handle his behavior, his presence. His flirting was a whole different beast. It was so difficult to pick up on whether he was being sincere or not. I was already so terrible at reading people, and his obvious skill in deception certainly wasn't helping.

I filled the silence of the room with a stream of music from my phone, which I had perched on the edge of my nightstand.

As I returned to unpacking boxes, I couldn't keep from checking behind me even once in a while.

It wasn't like I wanted him to return. Like always, I enjoyed the quiet, I liked my me time. It was always nice, spending some quality time with myself.

I was fine being alone. Wasn't I?