Chapter 6: Wolves

Running back to camp the brothers instantly told the company what was going on, while Rhea went to where she saw Dakota last, but alas she wasn't anywhere around there. Rhea faintly could smell her scent and it trailed into the forest ahead. Ash's voice caused her to whip her head around.

"She went to take a walk." She confirmed, walking up to Rhea. When she noticed her friends urgency, along with the rest of the dwarves grabbing their weapons suddenly and moving out, she furrowed her brows in concern. "What's going on?"

"Well besides wanting to basically murder Kili and Fili for putting Bilbo on a little mission to save the missing ponies, we found trolls." Rhea deadpanned. Ash's green eyes started blazing immediately.

"He what?!"

"Trust me, I smacked Kili good." Rhea huffed.

"Bilbo shouldn't be by himself with a bunch of trolls! What were they thinking?" Ash ran a hand through her thick brown locks and scrunched it up a bit.

The dwarves had all but disappeared into the woods, and Rhea realized they'd better catch up and worry about where Dakota was later. "We need to save him."

Ash bolted away after the company, throwing her words over her shoulder, "You're damn right we do. Let's go!"

Rhea ran after her, worry clouding her mind. After only a few days travel Bilbo was already in the greatest of danger and the girls were no where near to protect him. Conveniently neither was Gandalf.

As they caught up to the dwarves rather easily, they all slowed to a crouch, creeping through the night forest towards the campfire light. The voices were raspy and bellowed words Rhea couldn't quite understand. But as they got closer with each step, it became more clear they were talking amongst themselves about food and cooking and things tasting like fish.

When the girls brought up the rear of the company, a twig snapped nearby.

Dwalin spun around and hissed, "Will you be silent?"

"That wasn't us! Quit blaming everyone but yourself for your clumsy, big feet." Ash retorted in a hushed voice. Rhea shook her head at both of them as Dwalin turned back around with a scowl on his face. Thorin told them both to shut it from up front.

Rhea realized that the trolls seemed to be upset at something and frantically moved around an object one of them had picked up. Rhea couldn't see it well with the shadows the fire was casting, until her blood froze at the voice of Bilbo.

Ash stiffened next to her as the trolls now obviously held up Bilbo, his entire body covered in some kind of goo. They were becoming angry with him and all the little hobbit could do was hang there and try to speak reason.

Rhea felt her wolf inside of her begin to itch furiously. Her body temperature was rising, and by the feeling of the humidity between her and Ash very suddenly, she knew her friend was about to shift too. But with all strength they had, they held it in. Which became increasingly difficult by the minute they waited here.

Nori and Gloin just in front of them must've felt something as they both turned around slowly to get a look at the girls. In which the girls were breathing heavily, their fists clenched. Not only that, both of their eyes were glowing very brightly. Nobody needed a hint to realize they were barely holding onto their fury.

The two dwarves exchanged a glance before looking over at Dwalin, who curiously looked over to what their expressions gave way to. His eyes widened and he gripped his hammer a little tighter.

Kili ran up ahead of the company without saying a word, jumping out of the bushes and slashing the nearest troll with his sword. He sliced its foot twice, causing the lug to drop in pain. Kili's battle cry made the company move a little closer.