CHAPTER FIVE

After a challenging day of lessons, Elise returned to her dorm, almost collapsing on the bed as soon as she entered.

"Tired are we?" Daphne glanced over at her from her bed where she sat, quill in her hand, staring at a sheet of parchment.

"Doing six NEWTS is a lot harder than Professor Dumbledore made it seem!" She exclaimed.

"Doing three is hard enough for me, every free period I had today was stolen from me to do homework!" Pansy sat on the end of her bed, packing a pile of books away beneath it. "Honestly I don't know how we're supposed to cope, I'm already shattered!" Pansy collapsed on her bed, sinking into the mattress.

The calm in the common room was quickly interrupted by Millicent's voice. "Pansy, Elise get up!" She threw a large pillow at each of them. "You can't sleep through dinner, especially not after the day we've all had!"

Pansy shot up from her bed at the mention of food. "I can't wait for dinner, I'm starving!" Food had never seemed as appealing to Pansy as it did now.

"They better have pie. Nothing makes me feel better than a slice of pie." Millicent collected the two pillows she had previously thrown at Pansy and Elise, shaking them both as she did. "Get up, it's time for dinner."

"Merlin Millicent, dinner isn't that important! Anyway, I'm not hungry." Elise protested, closing her eyes tightly.

"Well I am hungry, and so is Daphne and so is Pansy. Come eat dinner with us and I promise I won't wake you up tomorrow by screaming." By now, Elise was the only one left on her bed, all the other girls had gathered by the door of their dormitory, Pansy tapping her feet impatiently against the wooden floor.

"You wouldn't do that anyway."

"Well, I will if you don't get up!"

Elise knew she would come to regret it if she was awoken tomorrow morning by Millicent's screaming, so hesitantly she rose from her bed, rubbing her eyes as she walked towards her dorm mates.

Pansy took the lead out of their common room and through the dungeons, her auburn hair flicking sideways extravagantly with every step. "If the boys have already left the Great Hall you and I aren't going to be friends anymore." She stated as they made their way towards the staircase.

Elise wasn't even aware that Pansy considered her a friend but even if she did, Elise didn't think losing her would be even slightly upsetting. If anything, spending less time with Pansy was something she, along with many others, deemed desirable. Nevertheless, she followed closely behind Pansy for the brief walk to the Great Hall.

"I can almost taste the pie already!" Millicent exclaimed, quickly picking up her pace and storming first into the Great Hall where a banquet awaited them.

Now that Elise could smell the food, she could feel her stomach beginning to rumble. It was as though someone had awoken the beast within her body and it wouldn't rest until it was fed. She searched around the Hall for Draco and Blaise, eventually spotting them at the farthest end of the Slytherin table and making her way towards them, her dorm mates, aside from Millicent who had already taken her seat, made their way down the Hall towards the table. Elise took her usual seat sandwiched between Daphne and Blaise and began to inspect the food in front of her. There was pie, which Millicent had already made a dent into, piles of greens, potatoes and some sort of orange soup she assumed to be pumpkin.

Elise lifted her spoon, dropping it into Blaise's bowl beside her and taking a sip of his soup.

"Pumpkin." He stated. "But it's good so get your own." He pulled the bowl close towards him.