...Sunrise

August 30, 2013

Summer's over which meant no more late nights and movie marathons. Now was back to the cramped hallways, unnecessary piles of homework, waking up early, barely any time to herself. Sky was less than excited to go back. The drag of her feet and the frown on her face showed her lack of enthusiasm on returning to school.

The school bus was unusually quiet. She expected it to be loud with conversations about what the school year would be like from the kids around her. The chatter soon became background nose as she settled into her own thoughts. Trying to calm herself down was something she often did and she was good at it.

There was the familiar stop of the bus that let her knew they were at their destination. She unwillingly opened her, letting out an exhale.

She prolonged the inevitable which was stepping into the school by sitting on one of the benches in front of the school. The sign HEMLOCK GROVE HIGH SCHOOL flashed brightly in her vision. 'Gross' she thought. Before she could take her eyes away from the sign movement caught her eyes. Her stomach lurched but then it settled just as quickly. She recognized that face, the man. The first time she saw him she felt what one would feel when you feel someone is watching you, stalking you. Then as it progressed, as she saw him more and more that feeling was no more. There was no fear, she felt like it was something natural. Although if you asked someone they'd think it was unusual and of course dangerous. But not her. She got this feeling from it and she wasn't sure what that feeling was. She continued to stare at the man and he continued to stare at her. He was always far enough so that she couldn't really make out his features.

"Sky!" She jumped at the sound of her name. It could really only be one person as she only had one friend. The person everyone in town knew and despised. Unless you were a girl attending Hemlock Grove High School, to which they adored him with the exception that have came across him and they despised him along with the rest of town.

"Shit, Roman! You scared me!" She said to him. She turned her attention back to where the man was previously standing but he was gone.

"You looking for someone?" Roman asked, he stared in the same direction she was, trying to see if he could see what she could but all he saw was trees, students and their school sign.

"Oh, uh, no. I wasn't." Sky said, a little to quickly which is why Roman was slightly suspicious.

"You got a boyfriend I don't know about? Promise I won't be jealous." Roman joked but there was an edge to his words, Sky could hear it.

"Shut up, Roman," She ignored his gaze. "If I was doing anything with someone you'd be the first to know. Now can you please sit down? You're making me more anxious than I'm already am."

"Yes ma'am. What are you anxious about anyway?" He asked.

Sky made gestures with her arms, "Take a guess." She sighed once again. "I hate school but it doesn't matter anyway. I'll get over it. I'm just using the time I have until it's time to go in."

"We could do something after school, you know?" Roman suggested.

"Like what?"

"Smoke? Do a couple lines."

"Absolutely not. You enjoy your coke alone."

"We can hang out at my place."

"Your mom hates me."

"My mom hates everyone."

"Yeah, that's true."

"Come on, sky, please?"

"Okay, I'll come." Sky gave in. Roman smiled at her but that smile said more than just friendly feelings towards her.

"Stop looking at me like that Roman."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"I might have never had a boyfriend but I'm not an idiot, Roman."

"Never said you were."

"Plus you're gonna make your girlfriends jealous. And I have no time for getting into any more arguments because a girl you're seeing has seen me with you."

"I told them to stay away from you." Roman's once playful tone turned serious.

"Yeah, well, they don't. And if you're going to ditch me again just tell me now," Sky felt that familiar uncomfortable feeling she felt when she started to get upset, anger, is what it is but she refuse to acknowledge it as anger. So she did what she always did when she started to feel anger, that was squeezing the side of her thigh. The feeling of it distracted her.

"Sky-"

"No, I'm sorry. Just forget I said anything. I'll meet you at your car after school? We can go for ice cream or something?"

"Yeah. We can do that."

"Okay. I'll see you later."

The school day wasn't really eventful. Just extremely long, that's what it felt like to Sky. She had a three classes with Roman. She wouldn't admit it to him but she enjoyed those classes the most simply because he was there with her. They didn't speak about her outburst from the morning although it was on Roman's mind the entire school day, but instead they joked as they always did and of course got stares and remarks from their teachers. Everyone knows that when you put Sky and Roman together quietness is something you're not getting.

Now, not causing moans and groans from their teachers they were in Hemlock Grove's local ice cream shop. Sky was slowly eating her mint chocolate chip that Roman ordered her, Roman had a coke and a cigarette snug between his lips despite the no smoking policy.

"What's the point in going for ice cream if you weren't going to get some you buzz kill."

"I like to watch you eat it."

"I bet you do, you creep. Here have some." Sky said, she shoved her spoon in front of his face.

"No thank you." He said, pushing her hand away. "And it's mint. Who the hell eats mint ice cream?"

"People with taste. People who like the taste of other things besides cigarettes."

"I like the taste of other things."

"Head out of the gutter, please. You're so gross, you know that?"

"I don't get many complaints."

"I don't want to hear about your sex capades again."

"You can star in one of them."

"I'm gonna have to decline that offer. You're not my type." Sky said. Jokingly of course because, well, Roman was exactly her type. Her only type as in he's the only guy she's ever been attracted to and thought about pursuing a relationship with. Relationships were a blur to her and quite frankly they confused her. But as she thought more intimately about Roman she became more curious but fell back on that curiously because they were best friends. Nothing more.

"Since when do you have a type." Roman asked.

"Since I realized you weren't it."

"Very funny. Hilarious, you're hilarious."

"Oh! Did you see the new guy? I hear he's a werewolf. Maybe that's my type."

"Hairy and gross? You could do better Sky."

"You'd be the one to talk, Godfrey."

"What does that mean?"

"Maybe I'll tell you some other time." Sky winked at him.