Claire Bear

Peter was spending his first night at the tower. He had packed himself a bag and had almost everything he needed. Keyword being almost.

Tony and Peter has worked in the lab for hours, went out to dinner, then watched the entirety of the Star Wars saga, prequels included because (as Peter was appalled to find out) Tony had never seen any Star Wars. Tony fell asleep during Attack of the Clones. Peter wanted to sleep, he really did. His eyelids were heavy and he felt exhaustion weighing down on him.

But he needed his Claire Bear.

He knew it was stupid. What kind of 16 year old can't fall asleep without a stupid stuffed bear? Peter reasoned with himself that one night without her wouldn't kill him. He closed his eyes and tries to count sheep. He couldn't get his mind off his Claire Bear.

After a half hour of tossing and turning and contemplating, Peter took out his phone to call May. Then he saw the time 1:00 a.m. God, she's probably asleep! It'd be rude to make her come all the way out here for some dumb bear.

But... his mother had given him that bear. Despite the impossibility of it all, she still smelled like her. He needed that bear. So Peter decided to do the logical thing and break into his apartment. Well, not break in per se.

He would just get on his suit, swing to the apartment, go in through the window, out Claire Bear in a backpack, sleep with her until 7:00 a.m. and then stuff her back into his bag so no one saw.

Not what happened. Peter put on his suit and Jaren instantly sprung to life. "Peter. Is there an emergency? You shouldn't be in the suit after 12." Peter winced. He'd forgotten to account for his curfew protocol.

"Uh, not an emergency. I'm staying the night at the tower, and I left something at May's. I don't need to bother anyone."

"Okay, contacting May." Karen said. Peter could practically hear the smugness in her voice.

"Karen, Karen, no. No, no, no, no. Heeeey, Aunt May." Her scrunched up his face and made a fist.

"Peter? It's 1'o'clock in the morning. What's wrong? Are you hurt?" May's voice quickly fills with worry.

"I left my Claire Bear at home." He muttered.

"What?"

"I left. Claire Bear. At home." He stresses quietly.

May let's put a low sigh. "You want me to bring her to you?"

"What? No. I'm 16. I don't need a bear to fall asleep."

"Apparently you do, honey." She soothed. "Besides, it's cute. I'm sure MJ would lov-"

"May!" He whisper-shouted. "I'll be fine."

"Then why you call me?" He could tell she sat up in bed, raiding her eyebrows.

"IgotinmysuittocomegetherwothoutbotheringanyoneandKarencalledyoibecauseofDadsstupidprotocolsandnowwereinthissituationbutidontneedherimfine." He rambled.

"Yeah, and that would mean?"

"I got in my suit to come get her without bothering anyone and Karen called you because of Dad's stupid protocols and now we're in this situation but I don't need her. I'm fine." He repeated.

"Uh huh." He could hear her moving around.

"May please I don't want to embarrass myself. I'm a superhero! I don't need Uncle Clint finding out I still need a teddy bear to sleep."

"Peter. You do need her. It helps your PTSD and SA and ADHD and your Insomnia. She's like your sleep protected. If Clint or Sam or who ever makes fun of you for it, Superhero or not, I will kick their asses."

Peter smiled. "Okay." He whispered.

May matched his smile. "Okay. I'll be there soon. I just have to get changed and get an Uber."

"I'm sorry May. I love you."

"It's fine. Love you too. I'll be there soon." May ended the call and Peter got out of his suit and crawled back into his bed.

He took out his phone and started watching an episode of Glee. 20 minutes later FRIDAY said quietly, "Peter, May's here."

"Thanks Fri." He mumbled as he staggered towards the elevator. He saw a tired May, holding a teddy bear.

Peter felt really bad for waking her up and dove in to hug her. "'m real sorry May" he slurred tiredly

"It's okay Peter. I just hope you don't forget her again." May whispered, messing with Peters hair.

"Do you wan' me to," Peter paused to yawn. "get you home safe?"

May chuckled and pulled out of the hug. "No honey. You go to bed. I'll see you later."

"M'kay. Love you, May." He staggered back to his room, May watching him fondly. She could still see the little six year old boy that couldn't sleep as he walked back to his room, clutching the bear to his chest.

She got in the elevator and got to the car. "Hey." She said as she got in. A tired Happy sat at the wheel.

"Hey." He mumbled. "I'm gonna kill that kid."

She chuckled and placed a hand on Happy's shoulder. "No you won't."

He sighed. "You're probably right. Besides, if he found out we were together, he'd probably kill me."

May laughed. "Well, that's why we haven't said anything yet."

Happy drove away, shaking his head.

Peter made it to his bead and almost instantly fell asleep. Clint was crawling through the vents because he wanted to scare Sam and saw Peter with his bear.

"Aww." He said to himself. Peter jerked, hearing in his sleep.

"Go 'way, Bird Brain." He called back at him quietly.

Clint snickered and told FRIDAY to take a picture for Tony.

It was never mentioned again.