Mr. Brightside

#462 on Song One Shots contest for TurnAround 's contest.

I looked in my mirror and ran my hands through my hair. I wanted to look good when I went to go see my girl. It was nearing our two year anniversary and I wanted to surprise her with flowers, more specifically red tipped white roses. She loves them. I slid into my car, thinking about all the things we've been through. All the issues and other guys, we are still together and strong. I pull out onto the quite highway and head over to her townhouse, a small place but good for her. As I pull into the driveway, I nearly hit the black caddy sitting in the driveway.

Must be her mom. Good, more people the better. I thought to myself as I got out of my car and headed to the door, clutching a bouquet of roses to my chest. I raise my arm, and as my knuckles brushed the oak dor, I heard giggling and "James, no!"I pulled my hand back, as if it was the gate to hell. I walked to the back of the house and watched as my girl and James had a tickle war on the couch. I sank into one of the porch chairs and watched her cheat on my yet again.

They got into it, biting and kissing eachother as they grinned. She placed her hand on his chest, I watched him slide his hands under her dress and started pulling it up. I liked that dress, too.

A strangled noise escaped my throat as I got up , walking away from them. I made it halfway to my car when I turned and went back to door. I placed the slightly rumpled bouquet on the doorstep before going back to my apartment. I walked in, numb beyond belief. This has happened to me a lot, but this will be the last time.

My phone buzzed as I was trying to fall asleep. Fumbling in the dark, I opened it and read it. Thanks for the roses. <3 Sorry I missed you. Are you still coming tomorrow for dinner at my mom's?

Yes.

Okay. Goodnight. Love you.

I put my phone down and stared at the ceiling, imagining what they are doing right now.I drift into sleep as nightmare-ish situations play on a loop in my mind.

*The next night*

I rang the doorbell, seeing my scruffy face in the glass of the door. Dark cirlces lined my eyes and five o'clock shadow gave me a dnagerous look. Her mom opened the door and did a double take at me.

"How are you?"

"I've been better, ma'am." She gave me a smile as I followed her to the dining room. I sat down across from her daughter. I stared at her before she looked at me.

"Hey. How are you?"

"I'm just fine. How was James?" I asked, taking a bowl of steamed veggied from her mom. She froze, her fork midway into her mouth.

"Who's James?" Her mom asked, I turned towards her and gave her a smile.

"Oh, I went over to her house. I wanted to give her flowers for our anniversay. Let's just say James enjoyed that night more than I did," jealousy rearing its head in my voice.

"He's my...plumber." She choked out the flimsy alibi. "My sinks..."

"I didn't realize you needed plumbing done." I shot back. We stared at eachother while her mom watched us with wide eyes. "Did that kiss mean anything to you? In the bar, under the misltoe?"

"Honestly? No. Not then." She added when I stood up.

"Well, that's the price I pay for loving you, huh? Thank you for dinner, but I seem to have lost my appetite." I directed the last part to her mom as I stormed out of the house, jealousy and anger holding my shattered heart in place. I could hear her chair scratching the floor as she tried to follow me. She stood at the door, yelling for me to come back.

She couldn't even walk out of her house. Why did I ever waste time on her?

I bypassed my house and headed to a bar. I grabbed a strong drink and settled down into a booth, nursing my heart.

It's in my genes, I guess. To love girls that don't love me back. Maybe life is playing a cruel joke on me, keeping my heart leaping at girls. Well, screw that. I'm done with it.

As much as I want to believe that and as much as my brain is yelling that, my eyes wander over to cute blonde staring at me.

Always looking for Love. And always ready for it, I suppose. Just call me Mr.Brightside.