[ CHAPTER FIVE ]

1862, Mystic Falls

         The atmosphere in the dining room was beyond tense, the air thick with tension so vast Roslyn was certain she'd be able to slice it using one of the many knifes laid out elegantly on the oak tabletop. 

It almost felt as all participants were too uncomfortable to speak, Giuseppe finding his whiskey glass more interesting, Damon pushing around the remains of his pudding around the plate futilely and Stefan keeping his attention fixed on the ticking grandfather clock behind his father.

The youngest Salvatore was oddly fixated by the clock, watching desperately as both hands moved painfully and rather slowly around the face. 

It was no secret why Stefan was so eager for the dinner to end, to retire back to his room so he wouldn't have to face the beautiful blonde who occupied his thoughts.

Gaze travelling around the table, Roslyn frowned when Damon- as if feeling her stare- snapped his head up, narrowing his eyes in her direction. 

His vibrant eyes were stormy with disgust and anger, eyes that practically screamed 'You're not welcome here'.

Averting her gaze swiftly, a soft, bored sigh left Roselyn's lips as she glanced down at her own plate. Her pudding, a generous scoop of strawberry trifle, sat untouched and unprovoked before her, something Stefan noted with furrowed brows.

She had very little appetite currently, finding certain tastes and scents would cause her stomach to churn. At first, Roslyn had suspected she'd caught some sort of virus or bug, however, a visit from the doctor had confirmed Giuseppe's suspicion; she was with child.

The words had regretfully filled her with dread. The thought of a part of Giuseppe growing within her made her feel sick, something she was extremely ashamed to admit. 

Every time the thought crossed her mind, she found herself reminding her that Amelia's father had been anything but a kind man, more despicable than Giuseppe, yet Roslyn treasured her golden-haired daughter more than anything.

Still feeling Damon's gaze shooting daggers straight through her, Roslyn bit her lip but tried not to let Damon's actions get to her. 

She was just glad Amelia was already tucked safely in bed, hidden away from the uncomfortable tension.

Even before they'd sat down, Amelia had begun to show signs of tiredness, but being the strong-willed young girl she was, she hadn't wanted to go to bed just yet. 

However, her exhaustion had soon caught up on her, as soon as she'd finished her main course, her eyes had begun drooping, breathing evening out.

Roslyn had gone to take her daughter to her bedroom, to tuck her in the covers and kiss her goodnight, but Giuseppe had fixed her with a sharp gaze, informing her one of the maids would carry her daughter to bed,.