Chapter 4: Escape Plan

Thurma sits down in the Mother Sun Hall, hands folded in her lap and her head facing towards the bright sphere. She listens to the soft humming of her world and warm feeling of the sun's rays on her head bringing her spirit into a firefast.

~

She opens her eyes and looks around the bright white space around her in awe. 'It's beautiful,' she thinks, turning around when Mavra called out her name.

"Thurma?"

Thurma smiles at Mavra and runs over to her. "Mavra!"

Mavra smiles brightly, returning the tight embrace of her friend. "Thurma, it's so good to see you! How have you been?" She asks, letting go of her and grinning.

"Well, I've ... I've been busy dealing with my colony and the whole ... splitting lands ordeal," Thurma says, laughing sheepishly.

Mavra's smile falls and she looks away in guilt. "Thurma, I'm sorry, but ... there's really no debating this one. I've made it my final decision on behalf of Mother Aughra's request."

Thurma frowns and crosses her arms. "Mother Aughra made this decision?"

Mavra nods her head. Thurma takes notice of her friend's ear twitch and she narrows her eyes. "There's something you're not telling me, Mavra. Your ear is twitching."

Mavra winces a little while rubbing her pointy ear. "I ... I can't tell you anymore, Thurma. Mother Aughra--"

"Since when did you take orders from Mother Aughra?" Thurma asks in annoyance.

"Ever since she became the first born species of our planet, Thurma," Mavra sternly retorts.

Thurma sighs and her ears twist back. "We can't close off our passageway, Mavra. My people still need the fresh fruits from Thra. It's one of their growing products in the markets. Without it, our trading will surely demolish. And you know fresh land within our volcano is scarce. There has to be another way to share the rations with the Dousan clan–"

"It's not just about the Dousan clan, Thurma. There are ... o-other factors that I'm forbidden to discuss about."

Thurma frowns deeply and gestures to herself. "You can't tell me?"

Mavra looks away, arms crossed. "I'm not even allowed to tell Kensho. You'll have to be patient with me. More information will come out soon. I promise," She says, hugging Thurma again.

Thurma closes her eyes and hugs Mavra back. "Right. I'll ... I'll do as you say. I trust you, Mavra," She says, breaking the hug with her and staring her in the eyes. "Please, don't disappoint me."

Mavra smiles at Thurma gratefully, nodding in understanding. "I won't."

~

Thurma opens her eyes, leaving the firefast. "Well, that didn't go as planned," She mutters, standing back up again and staring up at the Mother Sun. "It was nice seeing her again, though," She adds, smiling a little and walking out of the Mother Sun Hall.

~

Ignus sits on his bed with a fresh plum, tossing pieces of it to the wisp in boredom. He sighs deeply and puts the fruit down, glancing at the books on his shelf. He scoffs and goes back to feeding the wisp. "Studies now. Ugh. She won't even listen to what I have to say. It's always just, 'Ignus, did you study?' 'Ignus, are you done with your lessons?' 'Ignus, go to your room!' I'm so sick of it!"

The wisp sings in confusion to Ignus's ranting. Ignus just shakes his head and lays spread out on on his bed like a starfish. He thinks back to what Kala told him about taking action and standing up for change. He hums quietly while sitting, tapping his chin in thought. "What day is it?" He asks aloud, standing up and pacing in front of the balcony door. He stares at it in deep thought. He opens the doors and steps outside on the balcony, staring up at the Mother Sun that loomed over Mithra.

It was a third-quarter shade, meaning that the next day would be waning gibbous hour. He comes up with a clever plan in his head, smirking proudly while practically bouncing back in his room. He starts to pack some books and tablets inside his brown satchel. "Tomorrow is Scavenger day," He states, grabbing hold of the poofy black wig that Firelings take with them while entering the surface.

"During the Surface Orders, I'll take my cap and cloak and sneak away! Find Kala and her parents. Join them in the scavenge for food," He says, picking up his boxy-looking cloak and hiding it under his bed, along with the satchel of books. "I'll finally get a look of the outer sphere. Maybe I'll even see the All-Maudra and the gelfling!" He grins at the wisp on his bed who only chortled and ate the plum.

He sits down on his bed and stares at the wisp. "You know, I should name you."

The wisp peers its small dragon head towards Ignus in confusion.

"Though, if I did, wouldn't that make you my pet?" He asks jokingly.

The wisp's wings flap in irritation from the way Ignus addressed it as 'pet.'

"All right, all right. Maybe not pet. Let's say ... you're my pal, Skiddler."

Skiddler's emitting light glows and he sings in agreement, zooming around Ignus's head and snuggling against his neck. Ignus chuckles, rubbing the wisp's head with his finger before setting him back down on his blanket. "Glad you like it." He looks back out the balcony's glass window, dozing off to sleep. "Just wait and see, Mother. You'll never underestimate me again ..."

~

Luna sets down the little food she and her husband collected from the surface down onto the kitchen table.

Tolli smiles at his wife gratefully, glancing over at Kala, who still looked upset. Luna sits down next to Tolli, throwing him worried glances for their daughter. "Kala, could you please stop slouching while at the table. It's rude," Tolli says, eating his food.  Kala rolls her eyes before sitting up straight, rolling her sluggish food around with her fork.

Luna's split ears twist back in annoyance. "Your attitude better change or we won't be taking you to the surface tomorrow."

Kala finally lights in surprise, staring at her parents with wide eyes. "Taking me to the surface?"

Tolli nods, taking another bite of the food. "We were thinking about taking you. We were about to come to a conclusion until you gave us the cold shoulder."

Kala frowns deeply, feeling a little bad that she held a grudge against her parents the whole day. "I'm ... sorry about that. I was just angry and acted kinda ... rash. I really, really, really, want to help you guys collect food for the market again tomorrow. Can I please go with you?" She begs.

Her parents glance at one another before shrugging. "We'll see," Luna retorts, continuing to eat.

Kala's father throws her a wink, silently confirming that she'd be joining them tomorrow. Kala's smile stretches wide across her face and she continues to eat her food giddily. She couldn't wait for Scavenger day tomorrow.