11

Cress's POV

I leave my room when the sun is just peeking out from the mountains in the distance. It's early dawn, so the air's a bit chilly as I walk to the front gates of the castle grounds. My cloak fluttering in the breeze, I pull my hood over my head and quicken my pace when I see the others waiting for me. I hope I didn't keep them waiting for too long.

"I'm not late, am I?" I ask as I stop in front of Zen, Mitsuhide, and Kiki, who are handling their horses.

"No, you're not," Mitsuhide reassures me while he adjusts the saddle on his horse. "You're right on time."

"That's good to hear." I sigh in relief.

"Uh, Cress?" Zen's eyes move up and down my outfit. "Are you really going in those clothes?"

"Yeah?" I reply, confused. I cast a glance at my clothes. I'm wearing a simple gray sleeveless top with a pair of my regular black leggings and black boots. And over that, just my cloak. "Is something wrong with it?"

Kiki looks up. "We're going to Laxdo, you know," she informs me. "It tends to get very cold there, with all the snow it gets."

"Oh," I suddenly realize that everyone else is wearing long sleeves and multiple layers, even though that's how they normally seem to dress. "Well, it's too late now."

"We could wait for you to go and change." Zen suggests. "We wouldn't want you to catch a cold."

"Oh no, that's okay," I say quickly. "I won't mind the cold, really. I'm used to it." I don't want them to waste time because of me. What if Mitsuhide and Kiki get annoyed with me?

"Okay, if you're sure." Zen replies, mounting his white horse. "It's almost time to leave... Where is she?"

"Where is who?" I ask, and then I hear the pounding of feet approaching behind me.

"Sorry I'm late!" yells a familiar voice. I turn around to see Shirayuki screech to a stop next to me, panting. "I was talking to Chief Garak."

"Shirayuki?" My eyes are round. "Why're you here?"

"I'm going with you on official court herbalist business!" The red-haired girl says proudly and with excitement. "Zen, I hope I'm not making us late." she turns to the prince.

The white-haired prince laughs, shaking his head. "Of course not. Don't worry; we're right on schedule. I'm glad you're coming with us." Zen brings forth another horse. "Shirayuki, you can ride with Cress. Cress, make sure to ride gently." 

"Yes, my prince." I resist the urge to roll my eyes at his affectionate request regarding the assistant court herbalist. So maybe he is in love with her. "Come on, Shirayuki." I jump onto my horse and then pull her up, settling her down next to me. "We've done this before."

"Everyone ready?" Zen asks, and when we all nod, he starts riding off through the gates. "Then let's go." As I ride my horse after Zen with Shirayuki grabbing on to my waist, I look back briefly at the closing gates. So I guess he's not coming after all. I think about Obi for a moment, then push the thought to the corner of my mind.

***

"It's getting pretty cold," Shirayuki comments as we track through the path of the mountains we're passing through. Indeed it is. Snow and frost covers the ground and the wind is relentless. I'm not shivering yet, but I will be if it gets any colder. "Are we close to Laxdo?"

"Yes," Kiki answers her. "Just a bit longer and we'll arrive there."

"This climate is certainly different from that of sunny Clarines." Mitsuhide adds. "Very different." He asks with interest, "So why are you heading all the way to Laxdo?"