Chapter 2

The early evening air was think, making my hair stick to the back of my neck (even though it was already wet from swimming). I grinned. I hadn't flown in a while. I was always too busy with school work (yes, I have to go to school. No special privileges for Avian-Americans), or with Jazz performances, or my mom would stop me for unknown reasons.

I did a 360, making sure no one was within sight, and snapped out my wings (a few of my tawny feathers fluttering to the ground). I set my feet on the drive way pavement and clenched my fists. Hopefully, I'll remember how to do this. I breathed in through my nostrils and sprinted down the pavement, my tennis shoes scraping against the rough cement. I stretched out my wings, trying to catch the wind with my feathers. I kicked off of the ground at the end of the drive way, my heart thumping, and wings flapping hard.

The lift off was always the hardest part, but the most exhilarating. Nothing can beat the thrill of seeing yourself get farther and father away from the ground, without a glass pane in front of you.

I flapped my tawny speckled wings until I was about 500 feet from the ground, I caught a warm updraft and drifted, enjoying the warm air filter through my primary feathers. I sighed. Sometimes flying was the only way to escape everyone, and everything. I never knew why, and probably will never know why, I am so special. I mean, everyone is special, but I'm extra special. I do have limitations though. I can't go to the doctor when I'm sick because, well, I think you know. The only time I've ever gone to the clinic was when I had appendicitis. That was a nightmare. The doctors agreed to operate on me as normal and not tell anyone about my little mutation (more like different DNA), good thing though, that could've ended badly.

I remembered being a little kid, maybe around six years old and sitting on a public beach while on vacation.

~"Mommy?" A little girl with short pigtails looked up at her mother. "Why can't I go and swim with Madison?"

The mother looked down at her daughter, sympathy in her eyes. "Oh sweetie." She said, her voice as smooth as the sand on the beach. She grabbed the little girl's hand and squeezed it. "You'll be able to. Someday."~

I sighed. I didn't understand then, good thing I listened to my mom though. If not, I probably would've snapped out my wings and the we'd all be in trouble. To the west the sun was setting, casting pink and orange rays across the cloudy, evening sky. I looked down to see many houses, a blur as I flew by so quickly. I slowed down and cruised closer to the houses. Of course the "normal" people couldn't see me, but I could see them. I have what I call "raptor eyes" because I can see farther away than other people (even though I did need glasses when I was eight).

I saw some kids, about my age, skateboarding and biking along the side walk. I chuckled. Those poor kids, stuck on the ground, never having exhilarating flights to new places or being able to fly so close to the ocean that you could reach your hand down and leave a trail of waves behind you.

I flew slowly over the kids, enjoying how care free they seemed. Even though school was almost over, we still had exams. I know, I'm kinda a stalker but I never come close enough to see who the kids actually are, so I guess if I don't know who they are, they won't know who I am.

I was day dreaming for a few minutes with the wind blowing through my wavy, brown hair. I was about to veer away from the kids when I heard a shriek from below. I instantly stopped and dove downward, toward the ground. I was lucky to have been over a gathering of trees and bushes.

I tucked my wings in and pulled on my... Shot! I left my windbreaker at home. I started hyperventilating, not sure what I could do to cover up my wings to help the kid, or who ever, was hurt. I can't let them know who I am. Wait. That's it! I'll just cover up my face. I searched around for plastic bag, or a large leaf to cover my face with. I found a plastic Walmart bag and put it over my face (don't worry, I made sure I could breathe) and ran towards the place where I heard the kid shriek.