IT MAKES MY HEART DANCE

I woke up early thanks to my grandmother who's still scolding about Thyme's dirty room as I make coffee.

"How could you sleep in that messy room , please clean it later after school.". My grandma said talking to me now as she carries downstairs the dirty clothes from my brother's room.

"Yeah, sure" I replied just to end the conversation, even though I know I am not sure if I can do it later.

"I bet she can't do it, she'll sleep when she gets home because she slept late last night " Thyme said in his irritating voice.

He is teasing me again.

Now, I am bothered did he heard me last night when I am talking over the phone?

"What are you saying?" I said, trying to sound innocent. 

"What I am trying to say is that next time, please lower your voice because I am just in the next door."

"Hey! I told you to sleep early. Your mom will get mad if she found out. You're-- " 

"Anemic, I know, " I said, continuing her sentence.

"By the way, who are you talking to, last night?" He said , not dropping the subject.

I know what he is trying to do, diverting the topic to me so he can escape from today's nagging.

"It's Athiya." I answered plainly so he will stop questioning me.

He gave me a sly smile. I know how he plays his game when we are in this kind of situation, it's like I am a kind of meat being offered to crocodiles. And as the youngest I cannot argue back in front of my grandparents so the safest way to play the game is to answer shortly that will cut the conversation.

"Then please tell her to drop by when she has time." My grandma says.

If Athiya could hear this, she'll definitely come here without a second thought. It's because I seldom invite people to come over and that is only if it's needed. Even on special occasions such as birthday, I prefer to stay at home and watch movie series, it's because I feel as ease when I am in my safe place. This makes my grandma worried, that I am not making friends; she often says she'll cook something. So I can invite my friends to come over, but I always insisted not to. There are times I could hear her and mom talking over the phone about me, secluding myself. So I know why my grandma is trying her best to persuade me every time she has the chance of so I don't feel pressured.

I tried to look for Athiya in the crowd, as I cross the hallway going to the elevator because my room is on the 4th floor.

"Cumin!!" it's Athiya shouting my name, she's in the elevator while I am in the queue. She gestured that she'll wait for me on the 4th floor so I give her a nod, then the elevator door closes.

We only have one elevator for the college building so every morning, it's expected that there's a long queue here. As the elevator door opens in the 4th floor. 

There he was.

He is standing in front of the door and his eyes were ice as he stared at me and you could see he's shocked. My body can't move as if my feet are cemented to the floor, but the people behind me push me so they could get out.

My eyes are glued on him 

Hands are cold and shaking. 

I tried to think hard what to say, but nothing comes out of my mouth.