All Eyes On Us

"Hello, I'm Natalie, I will be administering your test." And Abnegation woman, Natalie, says. "Please have a seat." I sit down in the chair and  whip my hands on my skirt.

"So how exactly does this work?" I ask.

"I am going to give you a serum that induces a hallucination, transmitters let me see the images in your mind. The simulation will offer you a series of choices to challenge your aptitude for each faction until you get one result." Natalie explains as she attaches wires to my forehead and her own.

"Can I ask why Abnegation don't like mirrors?" I ask, trying to distract myself.

"Our faction rejects vanity." She says, handing me a vile of blue liquid.

"Is this the serum?" I ask. She nods. I take a deep breath before tipping the viles contents into my mouth, then handing the vile back to Natalie. My eyes start to get droopy after about 15 seconds. Then they close.

My eyes open to find myself in the testing room, but Natalie, the wires and the computer are all gone. It is just me in the chair. I get up and look around, then the mirrors start multiplying, makeing multiples of me.

"Choose" a voice says. I look over to see two bowls, one with cheese and one with a knife. If there is a knife, then it is probably something dangerous, so I grab that. The second I lift the knife, the cheese disappears.

I hear a growl behind me. I turn around, knife drawn, to see a huge dog. It is probably about waist height on me considering how short I am.

The dog charges towards me and lunges at me, but because of the positioning of the knife, it stabs and kills the dog instantly.

The scene changes, and I am on the bus. Peter is no where in sight. I stand in the isle holding onto a bar. I take notice to a man reading a newspaper. 'Brutal murderer finally apprehended' the headline reads.

"Do you know this man?" The man reading the paper asks. Part of me feels like I know him. But something is telling me not to say anything. I just stare at the man blankley.

"Well, do you?" He pressed. I shake my head.

"I don't, I'm sorry." I say flatly.

"You're lying" he accused.

"I'm not, I don't know him." I say.

"YOU COULD HAVE SAVED ME! JUST TELL THE TRUTH!" The man shouts.

"I do not know him." I say angrily. Then everything goes black.

"Congratulations, Dauntless through and through." Natalie says when I open my eyes.

"Thank you Natalie." I say, I get up and make my way to the door.

"Choose wisely, Charlotte" Natalie says. I open the door and shut it.

Dauntless.

I got Dauntless.

I make my way back to the Auditorium where Peter is waiting in the hallway. He takes notice of me. I break into a run and throw myself into his arms that are already open. Peter spins me around and then sets me down.

"I did it, Peter, I got Dauntless." I say.

"See I told you." He says.

******

The next day, my family and I are getting ready to head to the choosing ceremony with Peter's family. I am so excited to move to Dauntless.

There is a knock at the door signaling that Mr. and Mrs. Hayes along with Peter are here.

"Good morning, Mr. And Mrs. Hayes, Good morning Peter." I say opening the door. I invite them in so they can great my parents.

"Mom, can Peter and I go upstairs until we have to leave?" I ask.

"Sure sweetie." Mom says. I grab Peter's hand and drag him upstairs. We get to my room and I shut the door. Peter wraps his arms around me, he knows thats what I need right now. After the hug, we lay on my bed and cuddle.

"Are you excited?" I ask.

"Yeah, definitely. You?" Peter asks.

"Generally yes." I say. After a few minutes, my mom opens the door. Probably to tell us it is time to go. We try to get out of our possition.

"Wait, don't get up, stay there." My mom says, we sigh and I cuddle more into Peter's side. Our parents believe that we are going to get married. So whenever they catch us doing something 'cute' they take a picture. My mom, along with my dad and Peter's parents come into my room. My mom is holding a camera and taking pictures while Peter's mom is gushing about how cute we look.

"Peter kiss her forehead." His mom says. Peter sighs and does so. We are used to this.

"Okay if we don't get going we are going to be late." My dad says. After a few more pictures, Peter and I are allowed to get up. 

******

When we get to the hub, I hug parents  knowing full well this is the last time I will see them. Peter does the same with his. Peter and I make our way to the front to stand with the other 16 year olds.

Once everyone has filed in, Jeanine Mathews takes the stage and begins to speak. I grab Peters hand and squeeze 3 times like we did when we were kids. It means 'I love you'. Peter squeezes back 3 times as well.

"The faction system is a living being composed of cells, all of you. And the only way it can survive and thrive is for each of you to claim your rightful place. The future belongs to those who know where they belong." Jeanine says. She then hands the ceremony to the representative of Abnegation, Marcus Eaton.

"When we leave this room, you will no longer be dependents but full-fledged members of our society."  Marcus says. "Faction before blood."

"Faction before blood." We all repeat. Marcus then begins to call people up. One by one, 16 year olds make their way up to the stage, cut their palm, and drop their blood into the bowl if the faction they choose.

"Peter Hayes" Marcus says. Peter squeezes my hand once more before letting go, making his way uo the stage. He cuts his palm and withiut hesitation, drops his blood into the Dauntless bowl. "Dauntless!" Marcus says. There are about 15 more names called before me.

"Charlotte Jones." Marcus says. I walk up to the stage with my head high. I don't want the Dauntless to think I am a coward. I grab the knife from Marcus, nodding. I cut open my palm, soil for Amity, smooth stones for Abnegation, Water for Erudite, Glass shards for Candor, and lit coals for Dauntless. I hold my hand over the Dauntless bowl, and hear a sizzle.

"Dauntless!" Marcus says. Peter sends me a smile as I go to join my new faction.

I am free.