Chapter Six

Waking up under Bonnie Gold was something Martha could get used to.
Lately, they had been sneaking off into the night for their nights together rather than staying the vardo, just taking precautions.
However, despite their nights, Alfie's letter weighed heavily on Martha's mind as well as the day where she'd return to normal life.
It was something in her gypsy blood, something that enjoyed the road, the travel, being with her gypsy boy.
Bonnie could see her starting to wilt, he knew she was nervous at the thought of going back to normal life.
As they lay in a small clearing of trees, he reached for her hand.
They were lying side by side, her resting on his coat which had been placed on the ground earlier.
"I won't let him get his hands on you Martha." Bonnie said.
His voice broke her from her thoughts and she offered a content sigh as she moved closer to him.
His eyes were trained on her face, reading every emotion she felt.
"If they come for you, I'll leave them in the fucking cut."
Martha was almost temped to kiss him again, to tangle her hands in his hair and resume their teasing.
"Now you know how I feel when you have a fight, mr. Gold." She smiled.
They began to dress themselves again, being careful not to look obvious as they returned to the vardo.
Michael greeted her with a nod as soon as she got inside.
"While you were out, a man came to tell us it's time to go home." He smirked leaning against the wall.
Martha forced a nod.
"Tommy wants us back." He breathed.
Bonnie and his father started talking in rushed Romani outside. Something was bothering them and Martha had a feeling she knew what it was.

Later that day, Aberama drove Martha and Michael back into Small Heath. Changretta had been 'dealt with' therefore it was safe to come back to the town Martha had come to detest.
Aberama left them outside the gates of Tommy's house and as they made their way inside, Martha felt the eyes of the whole family trained on her.
The first to speak up was Polly.
"We're glad to have you back again Martha. We have important business and we'll be taking you to London tonight." There was something definite in her tone, she didn't want to argue.
"I just got back, can't I go tomorrow?" Martha asked. Her grey eyes were cloudy and red, her usually smooth skin felt dry and irritated.
"It's urgent." Polly said and everyone knew better than to question her again.
Two hours later, Martha found herself on the train to London with Polly and Tommy, sitting like a bad child between the two of them.
Her blue dress rose high on her neck to hide the reality of her nights with Bonnie which had left red and purple marks all over her body.
The ride seemed to be never-ending but eventually they came to a stop.
Tommy let Martha link his arm as they walked to where a group of four Jewish men waiting beside a car.
"We'll take you to Mr. Solomon's." One of them said. He had a gentle smile about him and Martha felt she had seen him before.
The same recognition flashed in his eyes and he was about to say something before another man stepped forward.
"He's waiting for the little one." He said, his voice was more gruff.

Another thirty minutes passed before Martha found herself in a distillery.
Polly had been unusually quiet the entire time, the only time she had broken her silence was when Martha's dress slipped slightly, revealing a mark on her neck.
"Fuck." Was all she had been able to get out.

Everything in the distillery was brown and the workers worked without looking up, leaving the new comers in the mercy of the men assigned to bring them to Alfie.
The familiar man from earlier fell into step with Martha and offered her a smile.
"I'm Ollie. He offered her a warm smile which Martha returned.
"As astounding as it may sound, I believe we're cousins."
He then tapped gently at a door where a gruff voice shouted to come in.
Martha's eyes were still trying to comprehend what Ollie had said when Tommy elbowed her.
Alfie was more burly than she had imagined him to be.
"If it's not the runaway princess herself." He said, his voice was dismissive.
Tommy offered him a stern look.
"This is Martha, my sister. Her mother was Jewish therefore, I believe our deal is complete." He said.
Martha's eyes shot to Tommy.
"Well, in that case, come here." Alfie beckoned her closer to him.
She wanted to yell at Tommy, to scream that she was damaged goods and that she wanted to go home. Alfie was taking too much interest.
Polly read her mind.
"This is business and you will cooperate." She said, her voice was steel but her words were said in Romani.
Martha understood and looked to Alfie, he clearly hadn't.
Tommy was almost even dismissive of her.
"I'll be back next week, Solomons. Treat her well." He said as he turned to leave, Polly following him and leaving Martha standing in front of the gangster.
With that, Martha tore into a string of Romani insults, screaming at Polly, more-so at Tommy.
They kept walking.

Ollie was sympathetic to her. As soon as Tommy had left, Martha had withdrawn to the corner of Alfie's office. The beast of a man carried on as if it were a normal day, bent over his work. She hadn't said a word to him, she just sat in the corner, her eyes red and her throat sore.
"I hear your mother was Jewish." Aflie eventually said.
He earned a nod from Martha, clearly the most he was going to get.
He said nothing but went to back to his writing.
Ollie shot her another look, he was kind. Martha decided she liked him. She got the feeling that Alfie didn't know about the relation between the two.
When he left the office, she followed after him.
"Ollie, do you have some paper I could use. I want to send my sister a letter." Martha asked, she was coy about it.
The man looked uneasy and went to ask Alfie.
"She wants to do fucking what?" She heard alfie say.
"To write a letter home, to her sister. Presumably to tell her all is going well." Ollie replied.
Alfie agreed after some back and forth.
When Ollie presented Martha with a pen and paper later she was grateful. She inquired when the post man came and to her surprise, he was due within the hour.
She retreated to quiet part of the distillery and scribbled a letter in Romani.
'Bonnie, I'm in Camden Square.' Was all it read.
She knew he'd understand.