The next morning

(Piper's POV)

I woke up from a really good night's sleep to the smell of freshly brewed coffee and breakfast, feeling well rested, content and satisfied. I had everything I needed in my life. My family were coming to terms with who I am, well, my mom and Cal were, albeit slowly, Zelda was still in my life, clearly much to Alex's discomfort, but she was strictly a friend, I had a well paid, good career now and my wife was home.
Oh that's right.
Alex was here.
With me.

I know I said I was withholding sex from Alex and while I still plan to do that, I had the most vivid sex dream starring her last night and it was making me miss her.
I looked over to her side of the bed, seeing she wasn't there as I'd asked for last night. I sigh and rub my eyes. Well, at least she respected my wishes and didn't sneak in again last night. I've known her to do that before.

Knowing Alex was just outside this room made me simultaneously nervous, happy, excited, apprehensive and a little bit angry so it took a little moment for me to roll out of bed and tightly wrap myself in a robe.
I was having lunch with Zelda today. I had planned to spend the day with Alex to work on our relationship but my lovely wife, fiancé, whatever the hell she is to me now, ruined those plans by attacking Zelda in her own home so now I had to apologise for that. Plus, I needed to really clear the air as to why I used Zelda as a one night stand and hoped we could still be friends because after prison, I didn't have a whole lot left.

I noticed my boyshorts, that I could've sworn I put on last night, were lying in a heap by the door but I shook it off and cautiously entered the living area of the suite as if I was a thief in the night. I was practically tiptoeing, hoping Alex wouldn't hear me. I hated that our relationship was so awkward now. She is the one person who knows me better than anyone and I'm scared to even look at her.
Too afraid of what I might say.
Too afraid she might look at me with anything but love.
Wonderful.

Alex was leaning against the breakfast bar with her hands wrapped around a coffee mug and two plates of omelettes and croissants set out in front of her, along with what I assume was my morning coffee. She had her nose in one of my magazines before she realised I was awake and looked up at me with a confident smile.
"Morning sleepyhead. I ordered us room service. First order of business once I got out of prison, order single origin coffee and croissants. I've never loved them more." She nervously chuckles, taking a gulp of coffee.
I just look at her and purse my lips.
I try to hold my tongue but it slips out.
"Lucky them. At least while they were out of your life you didn't immediately replace them with tea and bread." I snap, taking my breakfast she'd laid out in front of her to the couch she'd slept on last night.
In the corner of my eye I see her slam her coffee mug down on the counter and glare up at the ceiling before sighing frustratedly,
"Come. On. Pipes! I'm trying my best here to make us right again!"
I set my mug and plate on the coffee table and get up to get cutlery.
As I pass Alex I reply,
"Really? So you trying your best to make us right again includes attacking and threatening my friend? The only friend I have left might I add?" I ask her as I close the cutlery drawer after getting what I needed.
"Your friend." She scoffs and coldly laughs. Folding her arms.
"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask with raised eyebrows.
She sighs and looks away briefly before looking back at me and explaining.
"Maybe you can't see it or couldn't see it but she only befriended you to get you into bed Piper!" She says harshly.
I wasn't taking this.
Not from her.
Not when she started this whole mess.
"Oh like you did you mean?" I snap back.
She narrows her eyes.
"I never befriended you Piper, sure I wanted you in my bed but you were, are diff-"
I cut her off.
"I wasn't talking about me Alex and yes, thank you for reminding me we aren't friends." I say coldly, masking my hurt unsuccessfully and sit back down on the couch to try and have my breakfast in peace.
Of course that wouldn't be possible with Alex around and a fight ongoing.
She comes to face me, moving my breakfast out of the way, as if she was trying to annoy me even further, and sits on the coffee table.
"Alright Piper. You want this cleared up once and for all? Fine. Here it is. And you're going to listen. She caught me trying to frame Hellman because I did NOT want to be his drug mule and risk getting more time. More time away from you. When I promised I'd keep my nose clean to be with you. She blackmailed me. I either got more time or I worked for her. That's how it all started. Then you visited and we agreed to have an open relationship. I COULD NOT stop thinking about you with other people and it haunted me-"
I interrupt again.
"Oh good so you know exactly how I'm feeling right about now." I jibe.
She just glares in response and continues.
"WITH that in mind, she knew that and in answer to your earlier sarcastic question, I befriended her yes but it started out as a way to get Hellman off my back. I can't control if she catches feelings for me Piper. I befriended her but she was the one who wanted me in bed. I only took advantage of that and you know the reasons why. I testified it publicly for you."
I close my eyes and swallow hard at this.
She places her hands on my knees in a bid to, I assume, reassure me, but her touch was bringing my dream from last night back.
Oblivious, she continued to speak.
"And as for the us never being friends thing. I never wanted you as a friend Piper because if I was your friend, I'd be friend-zoned and if I was friend-zoned I could never kiss you or have sex with you and have it mean anything or have a ring on my finger for God's sake!" She rambles.
I was taking in her words and yes, they made me happy but my eyes were glued to her hands on my legs.
"Now come on and bring your breakfast back to the breakfast bar. It's getting cold and so is my coffee." She smiles and takes my hand.
I was too lost in my own, somewhat dirty, fog of thoughts to resist so I let her lead me back to the kitchen in our open plan suite.
She grabs her coffee and wraps her hands around it again before finally realising I wasn't 100% with her.
"What?" She asks.