17

Brandy Mae

"Today is gonna be a good day." I tell Romeo, after I clear our electricity bill at the GPS(Graceland Power House).

"Yay! I can watch paw patrol again." Romeo beams with happiness as he skips beside me.

"Mm hmm. Who's the best?"

"You are the best!!"

"And how much do you love me?"

"A billion and one bunches!"

"And how much do I-" I don't get to ask Romeo how much I love him.

People always have superstitions about how crossing paths with a black cat is a bad omen. I don't know how true that is, but the person in front of me is my own version of a black cat.
If you took lemons, aloe vera juice, vinegar and fed them to a baby, his or her face would perfectly match the look on Mrs Davidson's face.

It's a look of pure revulsion.

I take hold of Romeo's hand and pull him with me as I take a step back.

"Where is he?!Where is my grandson you sinful girl?!" I'm afraid I might drown in the ocean of spit flying from her mouth  . Its been a while since I saw Mrs Davidson but either that time she was wearing a wig or she's not aging gracefully.

"Mrs Davidson what-" She cuts me off.

"You better tell me where Judah is right now! Don't you have any shame?! Selling alcohol to someone who is trying to recover from drugs. Do you not care about anything other than yourself?! You better tell me right now before I call the police."

Hold up. Call the police? Since when did selling alcohol to adults become illegal? Oh, this is Graceland and this is Mrs Davidson. She probably thinks her owns grandson's lyrics are written by the devil himself.

Very calmly, I tell her,"Mrs Davidson, I have no idea what you are talking about."

She waggles a finger in my face. "Don't play with me young lady. You've been making my own grandson lie to me. Everyday he tells me he's spending his day with Norah and now I just found out from Norah that he spends his day at that bar of yours! You've lured him back to the same kind of life that almost killed him. Do you ever care about anything else apart from your own interests?" She answers herself."Why would I even ask that? Of course you don't! What with a mother like yours? All you care about is benefitting from other people's weakness. You both are such deceitful and sinful people. I even wonder what type of person this boy will become. You're such bad examples of parents!"

Oh hell no. People can say anything they want about my mother. I don't care. About me? I don't give a shit but when it comes to my son? That's crossing the line.

I let go of Romeo's hand and take a threatening step towards Mrs Davidson. " Now listen here Mrs Davidson,I don't care what kind of  a person you think I am or what kind of a person my mother is, but you are not going to say anything about my son. I don't know where Judah or Judd or whatever is, but he's a grown ass man and I don't drag him to the bar by his ear. He comes on his own will and when you find him, I'd appreciate it if you tell him to stay away from me."

Mrs Davidson does something unexpected. She pleadingly grabs my left hand in her wrinkly ones. I flinch and try to pull away but her grip is surprisingly strong.

"Please tell me where he is. Norah told me you're the only person he spends time with. He came home last night and had dinner then I heard him leave. What if he's somewhere taking drugs? What if he's overdosed again? What if he's somewhere unconscious right now?! I have searched for him everywhere. I don't even know how many times give called his phone. If you know where I can find him please tell me before its too late."