Chapter 36: Sloth's Legacy

AKARI

"Evory!"

I watched in horror as Evory fell to the ground and Darius ran to her aid while Sora burst into flames, giving away his true identity.

"What the hell?!" Kaito shouts.

"Evory!" Darius cries out as he cradles her in his arms and Carmin stands over them, empathy lacking in his features.

"Get away from her!" Sora shouts as he charges Carmin with his longsword, flames burning around both him and the blade.

"Sora!" I shout, not wanting another person to get hurt, worried about his well being now that his secret is out.

"So, the devil reveals himself," Carmin huffs and raises his switch axe so that the arm of his weapon clashes against Sora's blade.

"You piece of shit!" Sora shouts and swings at him rapidly, making Carmin slide backwards with each hit. "I'll burn you to ashes!"

Sora yells out as his flames burn even brighter with another burst of energy and he lands a hit on Carmin, sending Carmin flying backwards several yards into the jungle. Sora chases after Carmin and Reverence and Raciel follow suit while Isabella and Clea run over to Evory and Darius.

"Evory!" I shout and run over to the four of them, kneeling beside her.

"T—take this," Evory looks up at Darius sadly as she summons her runestone and places it in Darius's hand before she closes his fingers around it tightly. "I want— I want you to— to take this and t—"

Evory breaks off into a cough and a sob wracks passed Darius's lips while Clea tries not to cry and Isabella sits there sniffling.

"Run," Evory breathes, her eyes focused on Darius's face as she squeezes his hand tighter. "I want you to take this a—and run. Don't— don't look back. Okay? Promise. P—Promise me."

"Evory, you're going to be okay," Darius tries to reassure her and panic fills her expression.

"Promise," Evory stresses and squeezes Darius's hand so hard that her knuckles turn white.

"I promise," Darius whispers, his voice rough.

"Evory, you're going to be fine, okay," Clea says, her voice strained. "We'll get you help and you'll recover in no time."

"You have a strong spirit, you have to make it," Isabella nods, crying. "You have to."

"You heard them," I smile sadly. "You have to. Okay?"

Evory smiles sadly back at the three of us before she turns her head to look back up at Darius.

"I love you," Evory says and raises a hand to stroke the side of Darius's face.

"I love you too," Darius says, his voice rough. "I love you so much, Evory."

Darius bends down and kisses Evory's forehead before he cradles her closer to him and rests his head on top of hers.

"Protect...each other," Evory breathes out before she falls limp in Darius's arms and Darius's lips quiver before he lets out a heart wrenching cry and rocks her back and forth in his arms faster as he sobs.

"Evory..." I breathe out, my eyes wide.

"No..." Isabella pales and Clea hangs her head, her fists clenched at her sides.

"I'll kill that bastard," Clea grits through her teeth before she races off after the others, Kaito also having ran after them.

"Her spirit is still here, but it is weak," Isabella says quietly as she places a hand on Evory's shoulder. "I can keep her grounded, but only for so long. We must get medical help quickly."