Being Broken

The sound of the baby's high pitched crying made Connie open her dark brown eyes as she sat up in the bed from frustration and drowsiness. Only three hours of sleep tonight. That was a record since she usually got only 30 minutes or 2 hours. She would've slept more, but her baby's constant needs through it's sobbing we're keeping her from rest. Her vision was slightly blurred from just getting up, but rubbing her eyes a bit seemed to clear it up and she had enough consciousness to get up and walk up stairs to the nursery, the cries getting louder and louder as she neared.

Heavy footsteps walked inside the lavender and light aquamarine room, going up to the crib and looking down into it, only for rosey pink eyes to be staring back up at her. Connie wanted to smile at her, but it didn't come. She instead picked the little girl up as she reached out to touch Connie's long black hair.

Connie sighed, "What is it that you want, sweetie?" She asked in her normal mellow voice. Even though it was slightly wrapped up in grogginess. The baby responded with a small sob, making Connie sigh again. She checked to see if she had a full diaper. It seemed clean, which was good. She then assumed that she was probably hungry and looked at her bottle, only for it to be empty like she predicted.

She grabbed the nursing bottle and walked back downstairs, the little girl still in her arms. She walked over to the couch and placed her down. She then went into the kitchen and opened up the refrigerator, grabbing the jug of milk and opening the lid to the baby bottle. She walked up to the sink and grabbed a pan to place on the stove, starting to wake up and become more focus with the task that was given to her.

How did her life turn out like this? She was so excited for a baby with her wife, but now she wished that she would have never been born. These thoughts were horrible to the young siren, but they were sadly true. Connie shouldn't be hating her baby, Melody, but she was starting to. Her wanting Melody to stay her little girl forever, now wanted her to just grow up. Her gorgeous rose eyes were now horrible reminders that she was awake. Ready for more crying, more sobbing, and more work for Connie to do by herself. But it wasn't like that when she first gave birth to her.

She was beautiful. She already had a full head of curly, black hair with one small streak of orange in it, beautiful white skin, and magenta eyes. When the couple first saw her, they fell in love with her. And decided to give her a name: Melody. Melody Lover.

Connie frowned as she poured the milk into the pan and turned on the stove. She remembered that her wife given her that name.

'Adagio,' Connie thought, 'You said you were going to take care of her with me... Together... Why did you have to leave...?' Tears started to well up in her eyes as the flashback played in her head.
~~~
Connie smiled sadly at Adagio as the older siren packed her bags to get on the next flight, waiting for the announcement of her gate.

"Do you really have to go, Adagio?" Connie questioned as her smile turned into a frown and tears threatened to run down her cheeks.

This made Adagio frown as well, "I mean, I don't have to. I can always forget the record deal and stay here, with you. Taking care of Melody... with you. Do you want me to stay?"

Connie looked down at her feet. She knew how much Adagio wanted this, no matter how much Adagio changed, she always wanted the adoration from others. And she understood Adagio's love of music and singing. She was a siren after all. She and Melody weren't going to be the reason why Adagio can't simply accomplished a dream she had been desiring for a long while now. She finally has a chance and who knows when it'll ever come up again.

"No, you can go. You've been wanting this for so long. I'm not going to get in the way of that just because I want you to stay. I just don't wanna take care of Melody on my own... it's... scary to think about..." Connie confessed, the salty liquid now making its way down her face and dripping on the floor of the airport.