일01

"Don't forget about me!" Hana was trying her best to swallow the sobs threatening to fall from her lips as she pressed her face against your shoulder.

You had never been the type to cry, Though your emotional turmoil refused to pour out of your eyes in the form of tears, your state of vulnerability was plain to the naked eye.

"I wouldn't dare!" You chuckled half-heartily, hoping to lighten up the building tension in response to the inevitable au revoir.

No matter how much you tried to fool yourself into thinking everything was fine, you subconsciously knew that it was not. You were at a loss. You had always, always prevailed everything life had hurled your way graciously. Be it the untimely passing away of your parents or being handed over to your aunt when she was the only willing candidate to take up the responsibility of your 3-year-old self. Hell, even being the social pariah, subject to occasional bullying at school.

But this? This was just... unacceptable.

You just couldn't kick everything to the curb and start a totally different life someplace entirely foreign. This is where you belong. Hana, childhood memories, late-night strolls, failed dates, everything was here. Home... was here.

Your aunt had received a transfer notice to another branch of the company after being promoted just a week before. The shortcoming was that she was to work from an international branch now.

She had considered declining the promotion for your sake, but you couldn't ask that of her. She needed the bucks. The woman hadn't even married yet, too caught up in trying to make the ends meet for the both of you.

You couldn't speak English to save your life, so tagging along with her to the States was out of question. On top of that, moving to a different country altogether was definitely not on your bucket list for it would mean a complete cut-off from life and people back home, given that time-zones exist.

On multiple instances, you had insisted upon your need to stay --- you could rent an apartment and take up a job or maybe move in with Hana; her parents would surely not mind. But then the problem arose, at merely the age of seventeen, you weren't a bloody adult yet.

That left you with one lone option; you were to now move in with your extremely old and superstitious grandmother. Sigh.

The thought of it alone threatened to give you a panic attack. Apparently, the last time you had met the old woman was when your folks had passed. You wouldn't remember, of course, you were three. 

Another thing that was beginning to give you cold feet was that the woman lived in some weird village in the middle of some freaking forest.

"You have to Skype me every night!" your best friend declared, pulling you out of your miserable reverie.