Chapter 7 Charley

After racing across town, sliding across the wet roads and avoid being hit by flying branches and other debris, I finally make it to my little apartment.

 I unlock my door and find my living room empty. I check the kitchen, but find it's also vacant.

"Hannah?" I call out.

A little squeak comes from my bedroom.

Cautiously, I enter my bedroom. I notice a body sized lump under my comforter and I smile.

"Hannah, honey, are you okay?" I ask gently.

I reach over and pull the blanket back so I can see her deep green eyes.

Suddenly her arms wrap around my neck and pull me down onto her. Her whole body is shaking.

"Shh," I whisper in her hair. I kiss her forehead and wrap my arms around her, trying to calm and comfort her. My lips slip down the side of her face. I kiss the hollow behind her ear. My lips trail down her jaw line. I softly brush my lips against hers.

Surprised, she opens her mouth in a gasp. I take advantage and deepen the kiss. I take my time exploring her soft mouth. She tastes of sweet innocents. 

A hunger tares through me. I want to take everything she is willing to offer me. But I don't want to scare her. I reign in my passion and keep my kisses soft.

I break the kiss from her hungry mouth.

"Hannah, marry me." It is a demand. Not a question.

"Really?" she asks breathless. Tears shine in her emerald eyes.

I am surprised myself! I hadn't actually thought I would ask her until I got to know her better, at least a week! But no matter the reason for it slipping out, I won't take it back.

Maybe she thinks I'm crazy for asking, since I only met her this morning. And perhaps I am. I am crazy about this beautiful, yet very vulnerable woman. Everything in me wants to keep her close. To protect her, and show her that she is worth so much more than she sees herself.

I want to show her that she is worthy of love, and even though I have only known her a day, I can still see forever when I look at her. I honestly don't know what would have happened if I had lost her today and never had the chance to love her. Maybe I am crazy. That isn't going to stop what I feel. I never believed in that love at first sight crap, until now. So, call me a believer.

Before she has a chance to refuse or over think what I said, I rush on to reassure her. She needs to know that, even though this is sudden, I still need her.

"Hannah, I have never been in love like this before. I can't picture my life without you in it. I want to call you mine forever. It doesn't have to be right now, but when you are ready. I want to love and protect you... have a family with you," I say quietly.

Tears stream down her cheeks and I kiss them away.

"Yes. I want to be yours. I want to have a family with you," she whispers.

I hold her tight to me as joy I had never experienced before floods my body.

I hold her a few more precious minutes before my brain finally kicks back in.

"Hannah, I need to talk to you about something," I say urgently.

"What is it?" She asks.

 Fear creeps across her beautiful features. Hating myself for putting it there after she had been so radiantly happy, I push on. "I know why your aunt and uncle won't let you leave. There is a will to your family's fortune and the manor. It all goes to the last living heir, that would be heiress in your case. But if something should happen to you, and you die in their care, they will inherit everything."

"I don't care about the money. And they can have Echo Ridge Manor. I don't want it. I just want to be with you!" she insists.

I warm at her last words. That is exactly what I want too. I make more than enough for both of us, but it really isn't about the money. It's about her beg safe, and she doesn't realize that yet. I need to explain it to her so she understands why she must claim it now.

"It doesn't matter. We have to find that will, and you have to claim it. If you don't, they will try to keep you from me, and if they can't keep you, they will kill you. I can't lose you. I will do everything to keep you safe. As far as the manor goes, I couldn't care less what you do with it. To be honest, that place scares me," I admit.

"I think I would like to stay in this cozy apartment for awhile, then maybe later we can move out to a bigger place out in the country somewhere and start a family," she smiles.

I kiss her slow and deep. I pour my love and need for her, along with my desperation to keep her safe. 

I feel so different from this morning. My indifference when I first answered her call shames me now. But when I woke up this morning, how could I have known I'd meet a woman that has me obsessing over her in a few hours? How would I have acted if I had known? I'd probably have laughed at myself, because until now, I was sure I was going to die alone. 

Now all I can think about is a future with her. To wake up in her arms every morning and kiss her to sleep every night. But I can't do that if I don't get back to work. She is the most important thing to me right now, and the only way to keep her safe if finish the case.

"I love you," I whisper.

"I love you, too," she whispers back.

I hold her in my arms in the dark. Eventually her breathing deepens and becomes even and relaxed. She finally fell asleep. I let her go, and pull the covers tight around her. I bend over and kiss her soft lips one more time.

"I'll be back," I promise and I leave the room.

I need to get back to the station.