|13| i can always count on you

ellie

Reid walks up from behind me and sits next to me on the blanket. 

"Elle?" he asks.

I don't answer him, I just keep staring.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

I pause. Am I okay?

"No," I state.

"What happened?" Reid questions.

Just thinking about the whole thing makes me want to cry.

"Do you remember what I told you about my mom a couple weeks ago?" I ask him.

"Yes," he replies.

"Turns out, she called my dad because she finally decided she wants to speak to me after all these years. I don't know how to feel. I keep asking myself the same questions. Why now? Why did she ever leave? I even asked my dad but I have a feeling he isn't telling me the whole truth. All of this is getting to my head and I'm conflicted about whether I should be happy or angry that she wants to speak to me after all this time." I sniffle out. I feel tears fall down my face, but I don't wipe them away. I could care less at the moment that Reid was seeing my cry. I had more to worry about than such trivial things.

Reid pulls me to him and keeps his arm wrapped around my shoulder. I lean the top of my head into the crook of his neck. Then it hits me. I'm being so selfish, right now. At least I can see my mom. I jerk from his hold and look him in the eyes

"I'm so sorry. I'm sitting here complaining about whether I should talk to my estranged mother or not when you can't even see yours." I apologize, looking down.

His fingers lift my chin up to meet his eyes.

"Elle, you have every right to feel conflicted about this. It's not selfish. Just because I can't see my mom doesn't mean that you have to talk to yours. It's up to you. I would give anything to see my parents again, but I can't. But my situation is much different than yours. So, never apologize for how you feel," he explains.

"I guess so. Sorry for dragging you out here only to cry and complain," I apologize.

"I'll always be here for you Elle. You don't need to apologize for needing comfort. It doesn't matter if it's the most drastic or simplest thing in the world, If you need me I'll be here," he states with a smile.

"Thank you, Reid. It means a lot. I know I can always count on you," I smile and pull him into a hug.

"Always, Elle," he retorts and hugs me back.

After a few seconds, I pull away. 

I lay back down onto the blanket and look up at the sky. Darkness had almost engulfed the whole sky. I check the time on my phone. 8:57 pm.

"Elle"

"Yeah, Reid?" I respond.

"I know I can always count on you too," he states.

It brings a smile to myself, and my head erupts with feelings. I turn my head to face him and he's already looking at me. My eyes widen at the closeness of our faces. I get lost staring into his eyes. They're almost like tiny pools of honey. His eyes are a light brown, but they're piercing almost like he can see every part of me. I have a feeling that I won't ever be able to hide anything from him. 

Out of nowhere, there is a crack of thunder. I hadn't noticed just how much closer we had become until we jumped apart in freight. I look back to the sky to see dark clouds covering the sky. Drops of rain begin to fall and we rush to pick up our stuff. 

"Thanks for coming here Reid, I really needed this," I exclaim.

"No problem Elle, I'm always here," he replies with a grin. 

The rain picks up but at that moment I didn't care.

I walk over a give him a hug, he is hesitant for a second but immediately wraps his arms around me.

I pull away.

"Bye Reid," I state.

"Bye, Elle," he replies with a wave. 

A walk to the car, soaked from head to toe now and get in. I can feel the butterflies in my stomach and they scare me. I know what this means, but I'm so utterly terrified. It's funny really butterflies are supposed to fill you with happiness and in a way they are making me happy, but this feeling scares me because it can only go down from here.

I shake my head and start my drive home. 

----------

Walking inside, I notice my dad laying on the couch asleep. He never sleeps on the couch, he says it's uncomfortable, so I know he was waiting for me to come home. I didn't mean to worry him, but when I left I just needed to clear my head.

I walk over to him.

"Dad," I shake him awake.

"Ellie?" he asks.

"It's me, dad, I'm home," I state.

"Okay, sweetie. I'm glad you're okay," he grins tiredly.

"I'm sorry dad, I didn't want to worry you, but I need to get away," I exclaim

"It's okay sweetie, I understand," he states. 

He pulls me into a hug.

"I love you Dad," I state with my head on his shoulder.

"I love you too sweetheart," he replies and places a kiss on my head.

"I'm going to head to bed sweetie, Goodnight," he states getting up from the couch.

"Okay, goodnight Dad," I reply and make my way to my room.

I lay down in my bed and look up at the ceiling. My thoughts drift to what happened tonight. I have no clue what I'm feeling and how to deal with it.

But, if I know one thing, I will do everything to make sure I won't be hurt again. I've had enough people leave.

------------------------------------------

Hey, guys, I hope you enjoyed Chapter 13 of The Lonely Stars! I know it's later on Friday and I'm sorry I was out all day today and I didn't have a chapter pre-written but I wanted to get this up. I love you guys!

What's is your favorite fast-food restaurant?

PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE AND FOLLOW!

Love, Katie.

UNEDITED