Chapter 3

CYMBELINE

"Isaac?"

My brother spins around, with wide opened, nervous eyes. As soon as he recognizes me, a small shudder of relief shakes him. He looks nervous, shaken, absolutely clueless and horrified.

He is obviously in love.

"Thank God that you are here" he whispers.

Not exactly what I expected, to be honest, but before I can ask him what is wrong, Ada places herself next to me and gives me an asking smile.

I straighten my back and pat Isaacs arm in a gesture of 'We will talk about this later'.

"Isaac, might I introduce charming Miss Ada Callagher to you?" I say then.

"Dear Ada, my brother Isaac Haywood."

She gives my brother an open smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr Haywood."

Irritated, he shakes her stretched hand.

"The pleasure is throughouly on my side, Miss Callagher" he says. "I think, Lady Bracknell already introduced us, didn't she? You were in the group of ladies that were so... very interested in my work."

Ada laughs, a laugh like the twitter of a small bird.

"Oh yes. A remarkably boring conversation, wasn't it? Of course not because of you, Mr Haywood" she adds hastily.

"But boring company is like a boring dress - it makes the person surrounding it seem either dull or understated. You were the latter - an interesting person that was asked the wrong questions."

Isaac raises his eyebrows, his mouth slightly gaping in surprise, and I can't deny a slight feeling of pride and warmth in my chest - within a couple of seconds, she has completely charmed him.

"I see why Cymbeline likes you so much, Miss Callagher", he replies then, slowly. "She has found a worthy opponent."

"Oh, I hope not to be your sisters opponent, rather a friend. Cymbeline is not a person I want to have as my enemy. And please..." she gives him a glance that would make me melt, "...call me Ada."

"As you wish, Miss."

On the outside, I am calm and polite. On the inside, I am throwing an orgy that would make Nero jealous.

Isaac never likes people from the start. He is either shy and awkward or very unpolite and frosty to them and if they choose to like him despite this, he needs weeks, if not months, to warm up with them.

But not with Ada.

My heart bounces in my chest as if it had wings.

He likes her!

In the next second, I just want to slap myself.

What is wrong with you, Cym? You do not even know if she is like you, if she is not more interested in your brother. You have no clue if she is like you. What were you thinking?

Damnit. I am stupid again. A dumb girl that relies too much on her feelings. I have to think rational if I do not want to bring myself into danger.

The small cough from behind Isaac wakes all of us from Ada's spell. My brother shoots back up again and whirls around.

"Oh, please forgive my impoliteness, Mr Montague. I was being thoughtless" he hastily apologizes.

Jesus, you could throw yourself at his feet as well.

His conversation partner just smiles. "It is alright, Mr Haywood. Charming ladies should always be a mans highest priority, shouldn't they?"

I have to hold back a laugh when I hear the note of irony in his voice, even Isaac grins shyly.