Chapter 34

ISAAC

The light blinds me. Suddenly, we have free sight onto a fully lighted, crowded hall, set up where the Warehouse must once have been. Music is flooding over me like a huge wave. A band is playing dance music on a stage, set up where the boats must once have landed. It smells of wine, and wax and wood, and the hall is warmed by the people who swarm around like bees in a hive.

The walls are decorated with curtains, and sofas and chaise-longues are standing at the sides. The dance-floor is filled with people - and I only understand that after a minute of adapting to the new wave of colour and light and noise - with people of the same sex dancing with each other.

I see two men, one red-headed and the other with darker skin and hair waltzing skilfully all through the crowd, obviously and proudly in love, and next to them two women in plain dresses sharing a glass of champagne. One of them has her arm laid around the hip of companion.

Oh, Hadrian's Villa, like the emperor, ohhh, I get it. Very clever.

I thought that all etablissements of this kind had been closed after Cleveland Street, but this one seems to have survived. No doubt also because of the security measures.

The penny drops also in my companions minds. Cymbeline looks as if her eyes would fall out every second. "A molly-house?" she exclaims over the music. "Now that explains it!"

"And one of the best of its kind" Atticus says proudly. "See the singer over there?" he says and points to a figure in a glittering blue dress on the stage. She seems to accompany the men on the piano and the other instruments, though the noise of the conversations almost completely drowns out her voice.

"Well, here we call her Lady Beatrix, but for the outside world, as one whispers, she's a famous opera singer named George."

Ada gasps. "I love her dress" she whispers. "But how can she sing like that while being tied into a corset?!"

"I don't suppose that she wears one."

While I am trying to get less paralysed, Cym observes the crowd. She smiles without noticing.

We are still standing on top of a small flight of stairs and can overlook the hall very well.

"Apollo" Cym asks out of nowhere, "you don't need to answer to that, but how many of the people in here did you bed?"

Ada and I both gasp. "Cy - Viola, that's offensive!" I exclaim and press Atticus' hand tighter. But he, obviously not at all offended, just shrugs.

"Let me see -" he says and scans the room. "Six in eyesight. Eight, if you count kissing."

Now I am the only one to gasp in shock. Great, I didn't know that he has a whole sacred band of Thebes that I have to compare to!

Cym just nods impressed. "Damn. Lucky you."

"Oh no, we just all know each other." Atticus - my Atticus, might I stress! - finally notices my gasp, turns to me and kisses the hand his engagement ring still sits on. "Don't worry, sweetheart, it's you and only you from now on. May I ask for this dance?"

Bastard. He knows exactly how his dimples can melt me.

And another thing makes me blush: I can't dance very well.

But then I see how another man with brown locks looks over to us - or to Atticus, to be more precise - and suddenly, the decision is clear.

"You damn may" I answer and give Atticus a kiss. The brown-haired man raises his brows, and turns away. Great.