Part 1

As natives of Southern California,  Travis, 31, who owns a design company, and Krystal, 35,  owns a catering service, experienced how competitive the housing market was when battling others to buy a home in Long Beach last year before their twins were born.

Travis shared the extreme highs and lows of their home buying experience, from going above their initial budget by more than $150,000 to finally getting their three-bedroom home in the El Dorado Park area of Long Beach.

What brought you to Long Beach?Krystal was born in Woodland Hills, and I was born near Ventura, California

Krystal was born in Woodland Hills, and I was born near Ventura, California. I moved to Los Angeles when I was 20 and eventually transferred to Cal State University Long Beach.

Why did you decide to buy a home in Long Beach?
We had been renting a duplex in the South Bay and pretty much felt that the landlord could raise the rent every year. The uncertainty and relying on someone else to do needed repairs has become a pain.

A lot of people say that renting is like flushing your money down the toilet, which I don't agree with. You're paying a fee for the luxury of using something — but we were planning to grow our family and wanted to give home ownership a chance.

We looked into other areas in the South Bay, like Redondo Beach, San Pedro and Hawthorne, but I really liked the vibe of East Long Beach since it was equally close to Orange County and L.A.

What were you looking for in a home?
Krystal wanted a dedicated dining room and I wanted a yard and two-garage space. Of course the neighborhood needs to have decent or really good schools and because our client base was expanding in OC to be closer.