01

~ ( chasitys pov )

Bodegas and Subways

Waking up at four AM on a Saturday morning wasn't ideal for a lot of people. Including myself but I did it anyways.

I had a restaurant to take orders at and that catfish wasn't gonna serve its self.

Everyone besides my dad was sleeping. When I said that being up at 4AM on a Saturday wasn't ideal for a lot people, that excluded him. He sat in the recliner watching a boxing match on the TV.

"buenos dias nena" he smiles coming over and ruffling my damp curls before walking over to the fridge and pouring himself a glass of OJ.

"You really shouldn't go outside with wet hair, te enfermarás" he scolds me knowing that I caught colds easily and I brush him off fixing the canvas bag that swung across my body.

"I'll be fine papi, it's just a wash and well sort of go" I explain taking my hair and throwing it in a messy ponytail and securing it with a hair clip and last but not least a tie dye headband that supposedly belonged to my mother once upon a time.

"What time does your shift end tonight?" He questions going back to the recliner and I shrug grabbing my house keys and a jacket

"If I'm lucky at noon, if not then I'll still be home in time for dinner" I inform him "what are we having again tonight?" I question making my way towards the door

"Your favorite" he chuckles switching the channel to a random comedy

"I will see you and the mondongo later" I smile "love you" I whisper shout being careful not to wake everyone up as I walk out the door and he does the same.

I make my way down the steps of our apartment complex and into the chilly New York air. The sounds of taxi drivers beeping their horns, sirens people talking filled my ears.

"Hola pequeño Jiménez" I hear and I give a small wave to Mr. Flores, my longtime neighbor who owned a deli a few blocks away from the apartments.

My eyes stay glued to the ground only looking up to check my surroundings every now and then while music blasts in my ears until I finally made it to the Park East Station.

Early mornings with no traffic from the Bronx to Brooklyn were often rare but it was a blessing sent from god himself. This was my everyday life when it came to working and going to school. Wake up three hours early, get myself ready and then walk to Park East Station to start my day. Occasionally I'll stop and buy a coffee or something if I have the money but that was often rare.

- - -

Almost two hours later I made it to work just on time. Throwing my bag in my locker, I grab an apron and my notepad and go find Gina to let her know I clocked in for the day.

"My favorite co-worker what would I ever do without you" I hear a voice and I turn around and give her a fist bump

"Hey Jess" I chuckle and she gives me a side hug. I've known her since I was 10 and we've both been working at the Soul Spot for three years and relocated with them from the Bronx to Brooklyn this past summer. Business has been booming ever since the move and if I'm being honest it was probably the best decision Gina and Dennis ever made. We cater soul food, you call it in and we make it and make sure it's ready when you need it.