Chapter Three

A/N: I said last chapter there was a small hint for something in a later chapter...well actually it's this chapter with the hint. I don't know what's going on with me when it comes to this story lol!

***

October 29th

My alarm went off at eight in the morning. It was a school day and I forgot to turn off my alarm. The cool thing about the Hallows Inn contest was that even if you were in school and it was a school day you were allowed to miss and it didn't count against you.

My mom had work until six-thirty but promised to leave early to tell me goodbye before I left.

I headed downstairs to the kitchen and made myself a bowl of cereal, still to this day laughing at how if we had two boxes of the same cereal my mom had to make sure they were set beside each other, and then curled up on the couch and watched the morning cartoons. It was something I did when I was younger before school, but stopped doing it when I hit high school. I think mostly so that I could sleep in later. I ended up falling asleep until noon when my phone buzzed with Demi asking me to go out for lunch.

When I walked into Roger's Deli I saw Demi, Derek, and Josh sitting at a booth. I made my way over and slid in beside Josh.

"It's about time you got here," Demi said.

"Well, sorry. You woke me up from a nap." I laughed.

"I already ordered your food," she said to me. Her and I always ordered the same thing every time we came.

"Thanks."

When the food arrived we started talking about the contest.

"It says we'll be sharing a room with someone," Demi began as she shoved her sandwich in her mouth. "Hopefully it's you and me, Tess," she talked with her mouth full.

"That would be cool," I said, even though I knew her well enough to know that a part of her hoped she would get to share a room with Derek.

"It's so weird that the four of us got chosen. Usually the ages of people chosen is a wide range. We're all eighteen and are already half of who will be there," Derek said.

It was weird. I've thought how weird this was since the moment I found out all four of us got a letter. There was never this many people who are the same age chosen.

After we finished eating we all left, Demi and me heading back to our houses. It was just nearing two in the afternoon but we wanted to make sure we packed everything and then get ready.

Once back home I jumped in the shower, making sure to shave my underarms and legs. Then I got out and blow dried and straightened my hair, put on my makeup, just the bare minimum like usual, and brushed my teeth. Once I was done getting ready I checked over my bags to make sure I had everything, not forgetting to put in the last minute items that I'd had to use up until this point.

We were told to arrive at the Hallows Inn at six and it was just nearing four. The Inn was an hour drive and Demi, Derek, Josh, and I all decided to ride together in Derek's car.

Demi was the first to arrive. I was standing outside on the porch and watched as she came skipping down the street towards my house with a huge smile on her face. Then Derek and Josh arrived together.

My mom showed up just after the guys did and telling me goodbye and wishing me luck. She loved Demi and Derek like her own children, but secretly she hoped I was the last one to stay.

We pulled up to Hallows Inn ten minutes early and the door was locked. We stood outside and watched as the other chosen people arrived.

"Karen?" I said as she got out of her car and headed over to us. Karen goes to the same school as us and is eighteen, too.