Chapter Seven

We all stood in the living room. Josh still held the fireplace poker while the rest of us held knives. I was gripping the knife so tight my palm was gettin sweaty, but I hated thinking about sing it. I didn't want to, but none of us wanted to.

"So should we spilt up or stick together," Derek questioned.

"Splitting up is the stupidest thing to do," Riley said as she held the knife at her side, "but if we stick together it gives this person a better opportunity to get away from us."

"Josh and Tessa you two go together, and Demi and Riley you two go together," Derek told us.

"What about you?" Demi questioned him.

"I left Jack to fend for himself, so I'll fend for myself."

"That's crazy," I told him, but he darted off up the stairs alone before we could stop him. I turned back to the group, noticing the worried look on Demi's face as she stared up the stairs. "Josh, why don't you go with Demi. I'll go with Riley."

"Okay," he said.

"We'll go outside, you two check around down here," I told them.

Riley and I headed outside. The storm was still coming down and it was hard to see through the rain. The thunder roared through the night and from time to time the lightning gave enough light to see for just a split second before darkness fell again.

We made our way around the house, there being plenty of entrances for someone to go in or out.

"I don't like this," Riley said as she stayed close to my side. "I should have just torn that damn letter up."

"I agree." I stopped in my tracks and looked around though I couldn't see much. "Did you see something?"

"Where?" She asked.

I pointed with the knife straight ahead, though I wasn't sure she could see my action. "Just ahead."

With how close she was I could just make out her leaning forward as if to try and get a better look. A few seconds passed and then she jumped. "I saw it, too!"

Then we heard a noise like a door shutting. "Let's go!" We ran towards the door, the wet ground squishing below out feet.

We made it to the door and stopped, taking time to gather ourselves and open the door slowly. I peered inside but couldn't see anything. I pulled my phone out and noticed it appeared to be a storage room. I stepped inside and Riley followed. I shined my light around the room. " I don't see anyone in here.

My light landed on a door and I pulled it open, shining my light to see the kitchen. "They must have went through here." I stepped into the kitchen and held the door open. "Are you coming?" I asked but was answered with silence as I looked around the kitchen to make sure the coast was clear.

"Ah!" Riley screamed but it was quickly cut off.

My eyes darted inside the storage building in enough time to see the back door closing. "Riley!" I raced outside and looked around. The rain made it so hard to see, it was coming down so hard it stung your skin. "Riley!"

I heard a muffled sound come from the left and took off running, squinting to try and see. I could barely make out Riley's kicking legs as she was being dragged away. I raced as fast as I could and when I was close enough I lunged for the person in black, knocking them down to the ground. This person was able to slip from my grasp and stood, slipping a few times on the wet grass and mud before taking off.

I wanted to run after whoever it was but Riley laid on the ground a few feet away from me groaning in pain. "Riley?" I crawled to her trying to see what was wrong but it was dark. I looked around, noticing my phone light shine up towards the sky in the place I had just wrestled with the killer. I ran to grab it, falling once, and then went back to Riley.