Sunderland Born and Bred

Only half a blue sky
Kinda there but not quite
I'm walking around with just one shoe
I'm half a heart without you

———————————-

When Charley Moore left England 9 years ago to study Sports Psychology at John F. Kennedy University in Pleasant Hill, California, she had absolutely no intentions of ever returning to England. Since graduating from University three years ago, she has worked at clubs in the NWSL and the MLS as their leading Sports Psychologist. But now it was finally time for her to return home.

Finally.

She was going back to the one place she had avoided for so long - to the people she abandoned.

She wasn't sure if she was ready, but she didn't have much time to decide as the taxi she was in had just pulled up outside St George's Park in Burton-Upon-Trent.

Her new job was with the England Women's National Team and she was excited, but incredibly nervous. She'd played with many of the England squad at Sunderland, when she was a teenager and before she had damaged both her ACLs and she could no longer play.

"Thanks mate," she smiled at the taxi driver as he got her suitcases out the back of the car and she made her way into the main entrance of SGP. She smiled gently as a man approached her, someone who she would recognise a mile away.

"You must be Charley, it's great to finally meet us. Welcome to the zoo, literally," Phil Neville smiles at her and held out his hand.

She smiled and shook his hand quickly before picking her bag up again, "Thanks so much for giving me this opportunity."

He shook his head, "No need to thank me, we're delighted to have you. Why don't you head on up to your room and settle in, you can meet the players at dinner."

She nodded slowly and picked her key up off the table, she smiled and nodded towards the other staff members, whom she presumed she'd also meet later. She hadn't realised how tired she was until she was in her room, lying on her bed.

Charley made her way down to dinner at 5:30 and was relieved to find that only the staff had came down early.

"Ah, Charley! I was about to send out a search party for you." Phil joked as she walked into the room and she laughed a little.

"Nah, I'm here. I fell asleep." Charley laughed nervously.

"Charley, this is Bev, Geraint and Mark. They keep everything running smoothly even when the girls are driving us all up the wall."

"It's nice to meet you all." Charley smiled and shook their hands, she turned suddenly as the Lionesses started to clamber into the room.

"Am I dreaming? Is that really Cheeky Charley Moore standing in front of me?" Carly Telford stood directly in front of her. Charley rolled her eyes and laughed, "I always knew you needed to go to spec savers, Telford."

"Ah, I'm more of a vision express lass, me." Carly grinned and pulled Charley into a hug, which Charley grateful reciprocated.

This whole 'coming home' thing was going well so far.

"Cheeky Charley! Your mam never told me you were back!...And you're here....why are you here?" Steph inputted, tilting her head in confusion.

Charley rolled her eyes, "Please don't call me that, I'm not 15 anymore."

"I still feel 15." Steph muttered sarcastically

"Even with all your creaky bones," Ellen White also interrupted.

"So, Chaz...What do we owe the pleasure after so long, hmm? America not good enough for you now?" Carly questioned and Charley suddenly felt like she was drowning.

"Carly!" Steph chastised.

"Uhh, I'm the new Sports Psychologist." Charley smiled a little at Steph.

"Do either of the Lucy's know you're here?" Steph wondered carefully.

"No, uh, I didn't tell anyone. You all know I haven't spoken to anyone since I left."

"You really hurt my feelings, Cheeky Charley...." Carly muttered, faking hurt.

"Something wicked this way comes..." Demi Stokes muttered, pointing at the door which had just opened and Lucy Staniforth, Beth Mead, Lucy Bronze and Leah Williamson all walked through the door together.

"Oh my god is that—" Beth started, looking straight at Lucy Staniforth who had stopped dead in her tracks.

"I...."

"Well, aren't you a side for these sore eyes." Lucy Bronze walked towards Charley, pulling her into another bone crushing hug.

Charley pulled away from her finally and smiled a little at Lucy, "It's great to see you, Bronzey. You've grown a bit, Meado."

"You haven't." Beth grinned and hugged her also.

When Beth finally let go of her, Charley turned her attention to the one ex-teammate who hadn't approached her yet.

"It's good to see you too, Lucy." Charley muttered, rolling on her heels nervously.

"Nows not the time for you to be sarcastic."

"I'm sorry?" Charley took a step back.

"I'm kidding. Give me a hug before my anger returns and I give you a peace of my mind." Stan smiled at her and Charley pulled her into a hug.

"I missed you, Luc." Charley whispered, burying her face in Lucy's neck.

"I missed you too, cheeky Charley." Lucy pulled away and walked to her table, before she sat down however she turned round and looked back at Charley seriously, "You, me, we're going to have a serious talk later."

"Oooooo," Beth teased, "Someone's in trouble."

"God help me," Charley breathed in deeply and went to sit down with the rest of the staff, quietly confident that her sudden arrival had went better than expected. For now.