But first, coffee.

Counting days, counting days
Since my love up and got lost on me
And every breath that I've been takin'
Since you left feels like a waste on me
——————————

"Are you ready to go?" Lucy walked back into the restaurant and walked towards Charley who was still sitting with Carly, Lucy Bronze and Steph. Carly had a lot of questions for Charley so she was grateful when Lucy walked into the room.

"Yup..." the awkward silence that overcome them previously when Charley first arrived had returned and Charley, yet again, felt like she was drowning. She reminded herself this feeling was the reason she left Sunderland in the first place.

She breathed in deeply and got up from her seat, hugging Carly, Steph and then Lucy who hugged her tighter than the other two had and whispered in her ear,

"She's not as strong as she looks and you can't keep running from her forever. Be careful."

"I can handle her, but thank you." Charley smiled warily before pulling away and turning towards Lucy.

"Where are we going?"

"Out for a drink."

"I don't drink."

"Tough shit. If we're going to do this, I need something much stronger than coffee."

"I'll have a coke then."

"You do that, Charlotte."  Lucy had already walked out the room and Charley had to run to catch up with her.

They walked into the bar down the street and Lucy went up to order them drinks. When she came back, they sat in silence for what felt like forever before Lucy finally spoke.

"I'm sorry." She muttered, taking a gulp of her beer.

"What for?" Charley raised an eyebrow.

"For making you want to leave so badly."

"It wasn't your fault." Charley muttered, rubbing her hands together she tried to look everywhere but directly towards Lucy.

"It was. You were in love with me and I was in love with you and I hurt you really badly and I'm sorry."

"Lucy, the past is in the past now isn't it?" Charley ran a hand through her hair, taking a drink of her cola, trying to busy herself from confrontation.

"That may be my fault but that didn't give you the right to leave and never talk to me again."

Charley laughed. "I didn't just leave and stop talking to you. I called Lucy when I landed in the US and she told me that you needed space so I gave you space. When I called you, you didn't answer, your mum did. She told me you were out with....her. You told me you weren't going to start dating her."

"You told me you didn't want to be with me." Lucy said, taking another drink.

Charley rolled her eyes. "I didn't say that, I told you that I needed time."

Lucy scoffed, "Well transatlantic relationships don't really work."

"Be serious. For once in your life." Charley sighed. "We have to work together and we can't let our....history...get in the way of being professionals."

Lucy smirked a little, "So what're you now, my shrink?"

"I'm a psychologist not a psychiatrist. There's a difference."

"We need to convince the other Sunderland girls that we're the best of friends."

"Should be easy for you, Stan. You've had plenty practice."

"Are you still flirting with me, Cheeky Charley? After all this time?" Lucy raised an eyebrow.

"Always." Charley grinned, taking one last drink of her coke and placing the glass back down on the table.

"I admire your perseverance, but I'm still with Laura." Lucy sighed.

"You really know how to ruin the moment, don't you?"

"I learnt from the best." Lucy smiled, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Let's talk about something else other than us." Charley offered.

Lucy nodded, "Okay, sure. How's your mum?"

Charley's head shot up and she rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly, "Uhh...."

Lucy folded her arms. "You are a terrible person."

"Thank you."

"That wasn't a compliment." Lucy snapped.

"I don't need you to tell me, okay? I know, I should go and visit her more."

"Charley, you haven't been since you left...." Lucy trailed off, eyes narrowed.

"I just haven't gotten round to it."

"Bullshit. When we play in Boro next week, we are going to pay her a visit."

Charley gulped, knowing better than to argue. "Yes, ma'am." She grinned.

Lucy shook her head, "Grow up."

"Can we go now?" Charley stood up and Lucy followed her without saying another word.

They began the walk back up towards SGP and as they walked into the building, Lucy started conversation again;

"So did you miss me?" she wondered.

"I guess so." Charley shrugged.

"Is that why you're back?" Lucy pressed further.

Charley laughed, "God no. And besides, you told me 15 minutes ago you are still in a relationship with the girl you slept with while we were together. I'm so far from ready to be your booty call." She snapped, walking back into the restaurant where the rest of the girls were clearly waiting for them because their heads shot up when they heard Charley's loud voice.

Steph coughed, "I take it it went well...."

Charley glared at Lucy, "It was going well until her ego exploded."

"It's okay, Cheeky Charley, if she won't have you, I will." Carly grinned, causing all the girls to laugh.

If looks could kill, Charley and Carly would both be dead.