Fight

As you watched the portal grow larger, three familiar faces appeared within. T'Challa, Shuri and Okoye stepped out and positioned themselves next to Steve, with determined looks on their faces. Other portals were appearing all over the place, and you could barely contain yourself as you saw your friends' faces emerging all around you: Peter, Bucky, Stephen, Wanda, Sam, Valkyrie (on an actual Pegasus), they were all there. Then the Wakandan army made its entrance, accompanied by huge warships which flew through airborne portals. You turned your gaze to Thanos, and were satisfied to see that he was looking significantly less confident than he had been two minutes ago.

Thor was back on his feet and helping Tony up, and you spun around as there was an explosion from the wreckage behind you. A giant-sized Scott set Rocket, Rhodey and an injured Bruce down near you and then became normal sized again. You rushed over to Bruce, but he waved the four of you away impatiently.

"Go! Go and fight. I'm fine, go!" he demanded.

Heeding his command, you ran/slid down the pile of debris you had been standing on to join the ever-growing crowd of support. Steve looked as determined as ever, and you fought to contain your elation – you still hadn't won yet. But you would.

Seeing that you were empty handed, Shuri handed you a sword from her belt – she had four. You nodded and smiled your thanks, and suddenly the battlefield was deadly silent. You could practically feel the tension crackling through the air like electricity, although that might've just been Thor.

"Avengers!" Steve said, in a loud voice that seemed to carry across the whole battlefield.

"Assemble."

And you charged.

The noise was immense; everyone was yelling and screaming and shouting as they ran forwards to meet Thanos' army, and the sound was full of anger and sadness for all that Thanos had taken from everyone, but it was also filled with hope, hope that soon this would all be over.

There was no time to prepare yourself, and you couldn't have stopped running if you had tried: pure adrenaline carried you forward with everyone else. The sword in your hand was flawlessly balanced and fit in your hand perfectly – probably some sort of clever Wakandan technology. Needless to say, when you entered the battle, your opponents stood no chance.

You'd never even seen or heard of half of the creatures you were fighting; you didn't have much time to look at them before you killed them anyway. As you fought, your brain went into autopilot, remembering the hours of training you'd done with Loki, years ago now, but you'd practiced enough that you remembered all the tricks and techniques he had taught you. You spent so much time telling yourself not to think about Loki, but now you allowed your brain to flood with memories, not just fighting techniques but just memories of him. How much you missed him. Now you poured that emotion into the fight, spinning and slashing and stabbing, all the while thinking of... Loki?

You nearly dropped your sword as you saw it – the helmet; not just any helmet. His. That was Loki's helmet. Those were his golden horns, moving above the heads of everyone else not thirty feet away. The raging battle around you faded into background noise as you stared at that glimpse of gold, how could...?

Too late, you saw the black blur hurtling towards you out of the corner of your eye, and before you could even raise your sword to defend yourself you were slammed into the ground and had the breath knocked out of you, and your sword knocked from your hand. Winded, you looked desperately to where your sword was lying just inches away from your fingers; you reached for it urgently, very aware of the creature which was raising its claws and most likely about to slash your face off.

The rattle of machine gun fire sounded loud over your head. You instinctively closed your eyes, but then felt the creature fall off of your chest, allowing you to breathe again. Gasping for breath as you opened your eyes, you felt yet another smile break out on your face. Bucky was stood over you looking smug, holding out a hand. You grabbed it, pulled yourself up and tackled him into a hug, suddenly emotional. God you'd missed him so much. He hugged you back tightly, shooting another couple of creatures over your shoulder for good riddance.