FOUR: I'm Only Sleeping

"Y/N," someone was knocking on my cabin door. My eyes were heavy with sleep when I tried to open them, so instead I rolled over to face the wall. I had to hold my left arm very awkwardly as to avoid applying pressure to my cut, I was so sleepy it didn't matter.

The knocking continued. "Y/N, time for support group."

"Please, don't wake me," I yelled back. I hear the door open.

"Support group isn't optional," Caleb says again from the doorway. "You come, or I'll put you on kitchen duty."

"I'm only sleeping!" I complained, pulling off the covers. "I'll get in trouble and put on kitchen duty for what? Having a good night's rest?"

A good night's rest. I smiled a small smile. Matt had done everything he promised; no nightmares, no waking up like I often did in the middle of the night, and sleep - something I didn't believe I'd be able to do. I got a sick feeling in my chest as I thought about my mom being a reason I couldn't, and walked over to Caleb waiting patiently in the doorframe for me to occupy my mind.

"Clozapine, and a schedule." Caleb grinned at me behind his bright teeth. I noted their similarity to the sun - bright, white, hurt if you stared at them too long. Did every kid here have something cheesy like that pertaining to their stupid godly parent? What about me? Were the other four schizophrenics Chiron had taught also children of Hades?

I took the Clozapine, swallowing it down dry, and I grabbed the schedule. I followed the freckled Caleb to cabin fifteen, where he knocked on the door for Matt to come out, too. As Caleb waited for an answer, I noticed the simplicity of cabin fifteen, how it was adorned with poppies, and the inside looked warm and comfy. It only succeeded in making me more tired. When he pulled open his door, he walked inside and tapped Matt on the back. He woke up promptly, and followed Caleb out.

"You went in there peacefully to wake him up, but you had to yell at me?"

"No two campers are allowed in a cabin alone. Matt has a bunkmate."

Matt stepped out of the door. I smiled shyly at him in a means to say thanks. He turned his head as if to hide his face again. Whatever progress I'd made last night had been washed away when I asked him what happened. It must have been an uncomfortable topic, I made a mental note never to bring it up again. He'd tell me if he ever wanted to, I could respect not wanting to talk.

Caleb dedicated the beginning of this meeting to giving me a crash course in Camp Half-Blood's operating system. He said he'd had a talk with Simon, and knew I spent all day inside. I waited for Matt to add that I wouldn't have slept either if he hadn't been there, but he kept quiet.

"On your first official day of camp, you have free reign to tour, join another cabin in an activity, and watch the orientation video. On the second day, today, you get your first schedule, and usually you're given a weapon of either your choosing or divine intervention."

"Usually?" I asked.

"Depending on why Caleb wakes you up and drags you to these meetings," the girl I recognized as Abby commented, "you don't get a weapon."

"As a schizophrenic, Y/N, you will not be permitted a weapon. You will also have three free blocks instead of two, as you cannot go to sword and shield, nor archery."

I frowned. "And I assume that means every time I come face-to-face with the monsters Chiron says you guys have running around the woods, I have to call for help like a damsel in distress?"

"Er, no." Caleb said quickly. "As demigods, a lot of monsters are bound to come your way. Y/N, you being a child of Hades means that a lot more monsters will be on your case. Monsters can pick up a demigod's scent, and can track them. The magical border at camp keeps us safe here, but out in the real world, you're going to need a means to defend yourself. Hand-to-hand combat."