Chapter 3

Third person's point of view

Currently, she sat there in his fancy car, lost a little too deep in her thoughts. She could feel the pounding of her heart and the fear that was coursing through her veins. She wasn't sure if her parents knew, maybe Jax and Selena already told them. They must've been so helpless and sad, even imagining them sad and in pain made her throat close up.

"What are you thinking?" She heard someone's question and looked up to see her mate staring at her, as well as his friend whom she was assuming was the beta.

"Nothing." She answered, successfully managing to avoid both of their calculating eyes. She expected that her response would satisfy him but it seemed to do the opposite. Guess her luck truly did hate her.

"Annabelle, trust me when I say I hate liars. Now I'll ask again, what is bothering you?" She didn't even notice the way his hand stroked her cheek. His voice was eerily calm. It was like the calm before the storm and it didn't help with the immense fear she was feeling.

"I was thinking about my family." She mumbled,  fidgeting with her fingers. Instantly his hand disappeared from her cheek while he looked at her with the right corner of his lips slightly raised upward.

"Good girl." That’s all he said. There was no hint of anger or any sort of satisfaction. It felt as if she was talking to a robot instead of a human. The car finally comes to a halt and so does her heart. It takes her a moment to breathe before she steps out of the car.

Rubbing her sweaty palms on her jeans, she nervously followed behind the alpha and his friend. The house was definitely not the pack house because it was too quiet here. She had also been to the packhouse a few times during her childhood and this definitely wasn’t it.

The hallways of the house were dimly lit but beautifully decorated. It gave an eerie vibe. It felt like a scene from a horror movie. It seemed accurate for her situation.

A firm tug on her wrist made her turn her head towards the alpha who was pulling her somewhere. Herheart dropped as the worst possibilities started playing in her mind. She felt her hands tremble, the alpha could probably feel her trembling and also her heartbeat that felt like it would make her heart jump out any minute.

"Relax, I won't do such a thing to you." She nodded, feeling slight relief creep in. Her pulse and trembling lessened.

"We will have a marking ceremony tomorrow. I will have a dress picked out and some beauticians will come and get you ready." He announced, taking short strides to match with her pace. It was such a small thing but it gave her a little ounce of hope that maybe he wasn’t bad like people thought of him to be. But then what he had just said played in her head and that hope disappeared.

"Will you mate me?" She wasn’t sure what possessed her when she uttered those words but it clearly was a mistake, his fists and jaw were clenched as his eyes swirled with an unknown emotion but instead of hurting her like she would've expected him to, he smiled.

"You never know." She wasn’t sure what she was supposed to feel. The answer indicated nothing and just managed to make her fear him even more. He was such a confusing person. Sometimes he seemed caring and sometimes he looked absolutely menacing but she had only known him for a few hours so she shouldn’t be assuming anything.

But what about the rumors that surrounded him? Everyone obviously feared him for a reason.

“This will be your room.” He said, the both of them stepping into a very spacious room. She nodded her head, standing there awkwardly. What was she supposed to do now? Act as if this had been her home for ages.