two

-

          IT WAS 1:34 AM WHEN surin finished unpacking. it wasn't like she brought a lot of things anyway—didn't have that many things to begin with. the u-haul truck hadn't come yet so she still didn't have anything to sleep on, but at least she had blankets.

surin sluggishly makes her way over to the balcony, where the scene was ever so vibrant and the same. the city was fueled with stolen stars from the night sky, but it didn't change the fact that it stood in a pitch black abyss.

she sighs, sliding the door open and looks to her left where the balcony lay vacant. her eyes linger on the plants and on his coffee table and the fairy lights that weren't on—which she made a mental note to buy later on.

she'd have to go job hunting tomorrow. school would start in three days, but at least she was sure she already has a position at her aunt's restaurant. she'd be a server, which hopefully gets her a lot of tips, though being overly friendly wasn't her best attribute.

"hey there again, new neighbor," the familiar voice chimes. he's leaned onto the railing—when did he even get there?hand ruffling his already tousled hair as he looks at her with a smile. "how's seoul so far?"

surin blinks. "its only been a day."

"hm...true." there's silence. "i got punched today."

surin's eyes widen slightly and she looks at him. she wasn't able to notice it in the dark—it was barely there, but she could make out a dark purple bruise on his cheek bone.

"ah."

"don't you want to know what happened?"

"not really," she says bluntly. "whatever you did, you must've deserved it."

he chuckles dryly. "i guess i did kind of deserve it."

there's silence again.

"so...where'd you come from?"

"busan...the outskirts."

"no way!" he says enthusiastically. "i'm from busan too!"

"oh."

"i miss it. i lived near a beach and a convenience store, so me and my friends would always hangout around there."

"and there were stars."

"huh?"

"it wasn't too much, but there were still stars—unlike here. i'd go to the beach too. the stars were the prettiest there."

"i never really paid attention to the stars, honestly," jeongguk smiles, a warm one. "so why'd you m—"his eyes widen.

surin's lips were pursed into a quivering line as tears began to trickle down her cheeks.

"hey...are you-"

"i'm going."

"what? wait-!"

she slides the door shut. great.