(6) Moving The Shadows

Harry pauses on his way back to the Slytherin common room when he hears someone mention the Dark Mark next to a shadow that he's keeping half an ear on. It's the work of a moment to jump to that shadow and peer out through it.

It's Igor Karkaroff, the Headmaster of Durmstrang, and he's showing his left arm to a skeptical-looking seventh-year Slytherin. The Slytherin's eyes widen a moment later, and Harry can see the edge of the Dark Mark squirming as the serpent comes to life.

Harry releases his hold on the shadow and smiles a little as he continues back to his room. So that's what Voldemort is getting out of this tournament, the chance to recruit students. It seems he's forgiven Karkaroff, who Aethelred described as a traitor, enough to use him.

Harry is pleased to have figured it out.

*

Harry marks the Weasley twins on the new moon of December, which luckily is before the Christmas holidays. Harry thought they would joke and laugh their way through the process, which would give him a chance to cut it short. Honestly, being bound to Theodore is enough for him.

But the twins are quiet and serious about the whole process, other than laughing when Harry actually marks them because that apparently tickles. Harry shakes his head. He really doesn't need the painkilling potion after all, at least not as long as he doesn't mark someone who is unwilling.

He recalls the rumors that no one could take the Dark Mark unwillingly. Now he understands why.

Fred and George both receive the lightning bolt with the wolf high on the backs of their shoulders, where shirts and their hair can cover it. It would have been safer to mark them on the back of the neck, like Theodore, but Harry can't bear to. He's possessive of that bond and his first vassal, and they're going to bear marks that are similar but not the same.

Fred and George examine each other when the ritual is done, and smile at Harry. Harry feels the bonds snap into place. It is less intense than it is with Theodore, to his relief, but he can still feel a general sense of their direction and distance. He would know if they were in danger, that's certain.

It's a relief. It makes the protection part of the bond much less onerous than it would have been otherwise.

"Now, our Lordship sir," Fred says, when both the twins are satisfied with their marks and have adjusted to the apparent feeling of Harry's magic, "will you tell us what the secret is to your appearing and disappearing around the school like that?"

"Please please please please please please," George adds, fluttering his eyelashes.

Harry sighs for effect. "Very well. But it will be hints at first, while I see if you're smart enough to figure this out." The twins nod eagerly, probably more thrilled than they would have been if Harry just told them outright. "Whenever I move around the school, I do it through the use of something nearby. I can't do it everywhere in the school because not all places are the same. Think carefully about it, and you'll find out."

George looks at him. "Through doors?"

Harry laughs before he can stop himself, one of the few times he's done that when he's not with Theodore, and the twins clap their hands together before Fred says, "Not through doors, don't be so obvious, Forge."

"But the school doesn't have doors everywhere!"

"Well, we can probably remove stone from the list."

"And floors!"

"I don't know, think about some of those moving staircases..."

Harry finds himself relaxing as he listens to their ridiculous speculations. It occurs to him that having the twins around might be good for both him and some of his other—friends, vassals, whatever. Theodore is serious, Luna is often off in her own little world, and Dean's sense of humor is more like that of the other Gryffindors and thus not all that comprehensible to Harry or Theodore.