Chapter 2

[Elena's bedroom. / Stefan's bedroom.]
ELENA: Dear diary, this morning is... different. There is change. I can sense it, feel it.
STEFAN: I'm awake. For the first time in a long time, I feel completely and undeniably wide awake. ELENA: For once, I don't regret the day before it begins.
STEFAN: I welcome the day...
STEFAN/ELENA: Because I know...
STEFAN: I will see her again.
ELENA: I will see him again. For the first time in a long time, I feel good. Elena goes out of her bedroom.
[Matt and Elena talk about Vicki. Stefan sits on a table and listens to the conversation. ]
ELENA: Vicki's lucky that she's ok.Did she say what kind of animal it was that attacked her?
MATT: She said it was a vampire.
ELENA: What?
MATT: Yeah, she wakes up last night and mutters "vampire" and then passes out.
ELENA: Ok, that is weird.
MATT: I think she was drunk. So what's up with you and the new guy?
ELENA: Matt, the last thing that I want to do is hurt you.
. [Matt at the hospital.]
MATT: Whoa! Vick. Vicki, hey. Vick, it's Matt. Hey, what's wrong?
VICKI: No! No! Get off! No! No! No!
(Matt is going to search doctors.)
Stefan enters.
STEFAN: It was an animal that attacked you. It came out of the night and jumped you. You blacked out. It's all you remember.
VICKI: It's all I remember.
Matt believes to see Stefan, he follows him but doesn't find him.
[The girls sit outside.]
BONNIE: Well, I was talking to grams, and she said the comet is a sign of impending doom. The last time it passed over Mystic Falls, there was lots of death. So much blood and carnage, it created a bed of paranormal activity
[Elena arrives to Stefan's house. The door is open, she enters.]
ELENA: Stefan? Stefan? Damon suddenly appears in front of her.
DAMON: You must be Elena. I'm Damon, Stefans brother  I see why my brother's so smitten. It's about time. For a while there, I never thought he'd get over the last one. Nearly destroyed him.
ELENA: The last one?
DAMON: Yeah. Katherine, his girlfriend?
STEFAN: Elena. I didn't know you were coming over.
ELENA: I know. I should have called, I just... DAMON: Oh, don't be silly. You're welcome any time. Isn't she, Stefan? You know, I should break out the family photo albums or some home movies. But... I have to warn you. He wasn't always such a looker.
STEFAN: Thank you for stopping by, Elena.
Elena leaves the house.
(Town square)
MATT: Hey. STEFAN: Hey.
MATT: Have you seen my sister?
STEFAN: No, sorry.
MATT: I can't find her. She's missing.
STEFAN: I'll keep an eye out for her.
MATT: Hey. I saw you at the hospital yesterday. STEFAN: Did you? MATT: What were you doing there?
STEFAN: Visiting.
(Stefan sees Damon and Vicki.He jumps on the roof)
DAMON: What attacked you
VICKI: A vampire.
DAMON: Who did this to you?
VICKI: You did!
DAMON: Wrong! Stefan Salvatore did this to you he's a vampire.  Stefan You have two choices. You can feed and make her forget. Or you can let her run, screaming "vampire" through the town square.
STEFAN: I'll feed? So I'll kill? So I'll remember what it's like to be brothers again? You know what, let her go. Let her tell everyone that vampires have returned to Mystic Falls. Let them chain me up, and let them drive a stake through my heart, because at least I'll be free of you.
(After a few moments)
VICKI: What happened? Where am I? Oh, I ripped my stitches open. Ah... I took some pills
STEFAN: What are you up to, Damon?
DAMON: That's for me to know and for you to... dot dot dot. Give Elena my best.
[At the Grill.]
MATT: She said you found her wandering around. STEFAN: Yeah.
MATT: So, um, thanks.
STEFAN: Um, have you guys seen Elena?
BONNIE: I think she went home. I'm gonna give you Elena's cell number and her email. She is big on texting, and you can tell her... "I said so".
STEFAN: Thank you.
The hands contact and Bonnie has a vision.
BONNIE: What happened to you? That's so rude. I'm sorry. Excuse me.
[Caroline on the car park. She hears noises.]
DAMON: Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you. CAROLINE: No, it's fine. Um... I was hoping I'd see you again.
[ Stefan's house.]
STEFAN: Hi.
ELENA: Hey.
STEFAN: Would you like to come in?
ELENA: See, the thing is, I got home tonight planning on doing what I always do, write in my diary, like I have been since my mom gave me one when I was 10. It's where I get everything out, everything I'm feeling. It all goes in this little book that I hide on the second shelf behind this really hideous ceramic mermaid. But then I realized that I'd just be writing things that I should probably be telling you.
STEFAN: What would you write?
ELENA: I would write... "Dear diary, today I convinced myself it was ok to give up. Don't take risks. Stick with the status quo. No drama, now is just not the time. But my reasons aren't reasons, they're excuses. All I'm doing is hiding from the truth, and the truth is that..." I'm scared, Stefan. I'm scared that if I let myself be happy for even one moment that... the world's just going to come crashing down, and I... I don't know if I can survive that.
STEFAN: Do you want to know what I would write? "I met a girl. We talked. It was epic. But then the sun came up and reality set in. Well, this is reality.Right here."
[Damon and Caroline are on a date Damon bites her neck] CAROLINE: Aah!