chapter one: it has to be her

kaycees pov

I stood in the back corner of the studio and could barely see the teacher going through the moves, but it was okay, with enough observing i could probably pick it up. I know you're supposed to stand front and center, but that just wasn't my style. I didn't want to be in the way and i liked the space that came with being in the back of class since everyone was fighting for a front spot.

Class was scattered with the usuals, Tahani, Bailey, Sean, Julian, both Josh's, Jade, you know... the works. I'd been dancing with these people for the past few years and maybe had spoken three words to them. they never really seemed interested in being my friend and i wasn't really the outgoing type. I just preferred to keep to myself.

Class went by pretty fast. I always loved a good JoJo Gomez class. She picked me out to do a solo, which was nice. Like i said, i like dancing by myself. Maybe not having all eyes on me, but I guess it was the only way people would ever notice me— and even at that, most people ever say to me is a good job or that was great.

"Hi Honey, how was class today?" my mom asked as i slid into the passenger side of our family car.

"Good." I said simply. That's really all i ever said.

"Did you make any friends today?" she questioned. I could see the hope in her eyes. I know she's been disappointed that i spend all my time either in the studio or at home. she wants me to hang out with people and make friends, i guess that's her way of feeling like she did a good job as my mother. which she did, i love my mom. i just wish she would stop worrying about me.

"Yeah, this girl named elizabeth and i talked during the class, she was sweet," i lied, not skipping a beat. my mom smiled and focused back on the road.

"That's good sweetheart," she said. she knew I was lying, and I knew she wanted to push it further, but she respected my wish to not talk about it.

Sean's POV

"Whatcha writing in your book, Lew?" Bailey asked me. We were both waiting for our parents to come and pick us up after class. My parents were always late, I was pretty excited to get my license next week.

"Just ideas for this concept video i want to do. I'm trying to find a partner for it and i have one in mind, but i'm not too sure," i told her, furrowing my eyebrows together. every time i pictured this video, there was one girl that came to mind for it and no matter how many times i tried to shake that feeling, it never went away.

"Who do 'ya got in mind?" Bailey asked. She plopped next to me on the bench and started to peak over my shoulder into my notebook and i quickly shut it.

"Hey, you know the rules, I don't like to share anything about my work until it's finished," I reminded her. I really didn't, because i never know what the end product is going to be and if it's going to be anything like my original idea and i didn't want people to ever compare what i was gonna do to what i ended up doing.

" — but i'm talking about Kaycee Rice," i sighed, sitting back against the wall and pressing my fingers to my temples. "the girl that is so stuck up that she won't talk to any of us and thinks she's the best dancer in all of LA... but also the one that's a really good dancer." i continued on.

"oh gosh, sean. I don't know how much fun it would be to work with her, she's probably a brat," bailey told me. i said nothing, but nodded in agreement. i don't like talking badly about people, but this girl from the minute she got to the studio never said a word to any of us, she never tagged us in videos when danced in a group with her, she only talked to the teachers who all loved her because she was so good and even then she barely talked to them, she never stayed around to hang out and left after class immediately, it was obvious that she didn't want anything to do with us.

"you're going to ask her anyway aren't you?" bailey said resting her head against the wall. i let out a deep sigh and thought for a second.

"yeah, i have to."

Kaycees POV

My feet hit the plush bathmat and the steamy air in the bathroom engulfed me. my brown curls hung wet and i could hear them dripping down onto the floor creating a puddle behind me. while i ties my hair up, i looked at myself in the mirror. i hated myself, hated my curly hair, i thought my nose was too big along with my eyes, and what i hated most was that i couldn't make friends.

i always told myself i was better off alone, but i know that isn't true. i want to be friends with more people than my older sister and my older brother because i know even they don't really like me, they just have to.

when i was little my doctor told my parents i had a severe form diagnosis of social anxiety. they suggested my parents take me out of the public school setting and find a way for me to still interact with people my age but on a smaller scale.thats why i started dancing. Dance was really amazing for me. it was able to bring me out of my shell in ways that other kids could just normally do. I've gotten better over the years from weekly therapy appointments and dance, but i still struggled with it.

I have a huge fan base of people who love watching me dance, so sometimes when they all come to events they ended up being really overwhelming and i know that they would be there to support me but having that large of a fan base for to be really intimidating sometimes.

It was about ten o'clock and instead of being sleepy, i was pretty much wide awake, so i slipped into my bed and started to watch a couple episode of Friends in hope that it would help me drift off to sleep.

ding

i looked over to my phone to see who on earth would be messaging me at ten in the evening. it was probably my mom telling me to do something, but to my shock and surprise it was a number i didn't even have saved. i reluctantly clicked on the message.

unknown number: hi, kaycee. it's sean lew, we dance together a lot. i got your phone number from the company roster and i was just reaching out to you because i have an upcoming project that i am trying to put together and I would really like to ask you to dance with me in the video. No rush on your answer, just let me know by the end of the week. Thanks!

i didn't really know how to feel after reading that message. on one hand i was really flattered that he'd asked me in the first place but on the other hand i didn't really know him and it could be a little weird if we didn't a video together. wouldn't he want to dance with some he knew, someone that was better than me?

i let out and audible sigh before clicking my phone off and pulling myself under the covers into a little cocoon. i'll talk to my mom about it in the morning and then i'll make a decision.

Sean's POV

she left me on read!

not a single response like "thank you" it "no i'm not interested" or "yeah i'll let you know". I sighed and turned over in my bed. i just needed to let it go for now, stressing about it was going to do me no good.

kaycee rice was going to be my partner for this video, and i had no doubt about that. the process might not be fun, but it's okay because that's what working in the industry is like; you have to work with dancers and people that kind of suck, but you get through it and you come out stronger and wiser.

I found myself so wrapped up in my thoughts that before i knew it, i was asleep.

I woke up kind of groggy, the sun was shining through my curtains and when i looked at my phone the time said nine thirty. i as in the midst of stretching all my limbs when i felt my phone vibrate on the bed.

kaycee rice: i'll do it.

__________________________

i know i already have a story i'm working on, but i had inspiration for this so i'll be working in both of them. so stay tuned for this one. i'm really like the dynamic that i'm going with since i don't feel like i see it very often! but yeah comment and let me know what you think and vote for the story as well if you want the next chapter!