chapter two: text troubles

Sean's POV

i let out a small huff of air before plopping onto one of the chairs in my garage. i had spent the morning cleaning and choreographing before kaycee rice would be at my house. i couldn't believe that she'd said yes, i mean i guess i knew she was going to be in the film, but i was just a little concerned for the process.

i looked down at my phone to see a bunch of text messages from my friends and also to see that kaycee said she was almost here.

bails: good luck seanie boy on working with the devil

hani: yeah, if you need our help just text SOS

jules: yeah bro, don't let her steal your soul

i set my phone down quickly when i heard the doorbell ring, rolling my eyes at my friends. she may be difficult but she couldn't be that terrible.

I opened the front door to see kaycee standing there, her hands shoved into her hoodie pockets and she was shuffling her feet on the ground. hmm, maybe she was just as nervous as i was. I shrugged it off, not thinking too much about it.

"Hey come on in," I said, closing the door behind her. "You can take your shoes off here, and then i can get you a glass of water before we start?" i offered. i stood to the side of my foyer watching the girl silently take her shoes off.

"Thanks," she mumbled to me, still avoiding eye contact. "I, um, b-brought my own water bottle," she said quietly. i almost couldn't here her, but i could piece it together when i saw the water bottle in her hand.

Without any other words, i led the way to my garage so that we could get this done. she clearly didn't want to be here, but we needed to work, so we might as well get it over with.

Kaycees POV

we'd been rehearsing for only about half an hour, but already i was in love with the piece. although until now, sean has barely even spoken to me, i had always admired his work. he was a really talented dancer and choreographer. i think that's why i said yes.

i mean, my mom really wanted me to do it because she wanted me to try and make a friend. i told her that i doubt sean really wanted to be friends, he just needed someone to do the video with. i was still kind of bewildered that he chose me of all people.

i kept quiet most of the rehearsal, partly because i was too afraid to say anything he might not like or that might sound stupid, but i followed every direction carefully to make sure i was executing his movement the way he wanted. After about ten more minutes, he left to go to the bathroom. i sat on the edge of one of the couches and i heard his phone go off.

I wasn't trying to be nosy, i just happened to look. there was a text there from "bails" — bailey sok, i guess that read: hey sean, hows working with the spoiled brat going?

i gulped and bit down on my lip hard. they thought i was a spoiled brat? i looked down at the floor, my eyes beginning to sting. no, i couldn't cry here. i couldn't. that would be so embarrassing, so instead i texted my mom to come and get me even though it was going to be two hours early and i started to grab my things.

unfortunately my mom didn't respond and i didn't get all of my things together before sean came back from the bathroom. his face was riddled with confusion when he saw me packing things away.

"What are you doing?" he asked stepping towards me. "are you okay?"

i could feel my body trembling. partly with anger but mostly with sadness. tears threatened to pour over onto my cheeks, and i willed them to stay inside. if i cried, he'd make fun of me, all of his friends would make fun of me too, and dance wouldn't be fun anymore.

"I'm fine," i said, shortly. i looked back over to his phone that sat face up on the couch and quickly averted my eyes to something else. I watched him from the corner of my eye walk slowly to his phone, his eyes darting back to me every so often.

sean's POV

rehearsal hadn't been going too badly. she was really quiet but she picked up the movement and barely asked questions so i couldn't really complain. about forty five minutes i could tell we both needed a break and i had to go to the bathroom anyways so i left her alone in my garage.

she wasn't terrible, but then again she barely spoke a word to me so it didn't make sense. why did she do the project if she didn't even want to work with me. wasn't it just wasting her time? i shrugged off the questions. it didn't maTter we just needed to get it done.

I walked in to see her picking her things together and the energy in the room was off. what happened while i was gone. she looked over to my phone and my breath hitched.

fuck. what did she see?

i slowly walked over to my phone and picked it up. the message on the screen illuminated in my face and it felt like a bowling bowl dropped into my stomach. i mean, yeah we felt that way about her, but she didn't need to find that out that way. i guess it was also not fair to talk badly about her behind her back. i felt really guilty.

i looked over at the brunette who was turned away from me. suddenly that feeling of annoyance that i had with her dissipated. who was the rude one now? me. i was disappointed in myself.

"Kaycee, I —," i started to try and apologize but when she turned around and i saw the tears falling down her cheeks, suddenly i couldn't speak anymore.

My natural emotion took over and i found myself hugging her. she was very tense and i could tell my touch didn't really help, but i stayed there until she relaxed a little into my arms. i didn't really know what to do. yeah, she was pretty stuck up and rude but we were no better than her.

Kaycees POV

my whole body was trembling. i had never really been good at controlling my tears. when they needed to come out they did. this sucked. they already thought i was spoiled and now they're going to think i'm a whiny crybaby.

i tensed at his touch. i barely knew the guy. he was talking badly about me with my peers and now he's trying to comfort me? i was so confused but i was too caught up in the words i read on the screen and the words i could assume they had already said prior to that.

I pulled away from the hug and took a very deep breath, just like my therapist had taught me to when i got overwhelmed. i stood silently in the middle of the garage looking around for things to help me ground myself. green couch, black table, blue paint on the walls, three pairs of shoes.

"let's just finish, sean," i said, avoiding any sort of eye contact that i could make with him. the rest of the time went fine. he taught the choreography and i learned it. by the time my mom was there to pick me up, we had finished. aside from the directions of choreography the two of us barely spoke. i could tell he wanted to say something, but he held it back. i was grateful for it.

"Bye, Kaycee. Thank you for learning today and i'll see you on friday for filming," he said, looking at the ground below us. i nodded, looking past his head instead of at him.

"oh — and kaycee, i'm really sorry," he said to me. i could tell he meant it, but i wasn't sure if i cared.

"i'll see you friday," i said, walking away and towards my moms car.

_________________________

this story is not going to be an easy love story where they just fall in love automatically. it's going to be a really rocky road for them but i'm really excited to develop their relationship and their characters

vote, comment, and like!!