Chapter 1, Our world

The year is 2035 A.D., and the population has risen to about close to 11 billion humans living and breathing. Pretty much everything about the Earth is still the same, in some parts, there is a blue sky, and in some parts, there aren't, but technology is different. Cities have risen to the sky, companies have prospered even beyond, and we as a society are super-advanced now, that we can cure cancer in a snap. It has been five years since the breakthrough, but we are still getting used to this technology. Although the world is advancing, things are still not doing well, as usual, in politics. 

          In politics, the United States president has been slacking a lot, and ever since, companies have taken advantage of this and ruling over civilians without any checks or balances. You may not realize how it is done, but as technology has advanced, companies start hiring private armies to protect their innovations, but mostly they use the armies to go after people. The United States army has become lazy, and the rest of the world is in dismay due to wars and similar situations such as the United States. The world may be technologically advanced, but human nature still keeps the chaos in the world. 

          "Wake up." I think to myself, as I am getting up at 7:00 in the morning. June 17, 2035, was the day, and I am still getting ready for a job internship as I am three months in. As I get up, everyone in my apartment rushes down to go outside. I knew something interesting was happening at that point, so I rushed down in plain clothes to see. Somebody stood on the street and yelled, "EVERYONE LOOK UP!". As I looked up I saw a burning quadcopter shooting at an apartment building. I thought to myself, 'Oh my god, the world has gone crazy'. As the quadcopter fell on that person, I rushed inside the building and quickly got ready for my internship. 

          I got in my car and saw the police rush down the street. I overheard that the quadcopter was unmanned, and sent me a company to eliminate a target. The police said that there was no possible way of knowing, but there was nothing they could do about it. As I enter the building of my workplace, everyone is rushing to their places, as usual. I enter my cubicle, as m boss comes down the hall looking for me. "Ah, there you are!" He says. "I need you to come with me, it won't be long, don't worry about it". I follow my boss into the room, and near the end of a long hall, there is a room. 

          When I enter the room, there is a man sitting at a long wood desk, with many files as he is reading quickly through them. When he stands up, he steps over, holds out his and says, "Doctor Fassenheimer ". I shake his hand, and before I let go, he says, "Are you alright?" I tell him, "Oh, from this morning, yeah..." I quickly move away from him, and he then returns to his desk. He then proceeds to say, "I have been studying the events around this area. Soon enough, people get more and more violent, especially companies, they get greedier and greedier the hour. Police can't control them, so how are we going to? Well, you will hear from me in a few weeks." I then exit his room, wondering what that conversation even was about. 

          As I carry out the rest of the day, researching what I needed to do for the internship, I exit the building at 5:00 P.M that evening. As I step out, two soldiers of the leading company, SGO corporations pull up to my workplace, EVID companies, and step out with large rifles. They approach me and proceed to talk to me. "Sir, you have violated code 617 in witness to a transaction". Of course, I had no idea what he was talking about, so I said, "Uh, sorry what?" He points his rifle at me, and I nervously put my hands up. He proceeds to say, "never interfere with our business again." At that moment, I nodded, but then a car pulled up and shot the two guards dead. Somehow, I wasn't really that scared, but I had the feeling that those men were part of a rival company. 

          I drove home that night, and I entered my apartment to sleep. At about 7:00 P.M., I turned the TV on to see the news, and something shocking had just happened. One company moved a thousand soldiers to take over the middle east, but their rival company fought back, massacred a thousand soldiers, and just raided the building. The police decided to stay out of it and watch, but in the end, the infrastructure of the building broke and the building collapsed, killing one hundred workers. After I heard that, I turned off the TV, and went to sleep. 

          I worked the same internship job for the next week or so, until one day I went to work and heard talk around the workplace that Alabama had been blown up. I was surprised that a whole state was blown up, so I asked my boss what happened and he said, "Well, apparently a top-secret combustion factory was under attack, and the entire company decided to sacrifice their project." I looked at him strangely, not knowing why the entire state was blown up, but he continued... "When I said 'sacrificed' I meant they brought six arc reactors together to create an explosion big enough to wipe out the entire state of Alabama."

          As the day went on, everyone starts talking about how the world may fall apart if this keeps continuing, and everyone is genuinely concerned compared to most events that happen in the world right now. As I drive home again that night, thinking of what our world has become, I push through the end of the week for Friday tomorrow.