Chapter 2, The End?

As a few more weeks go by, and the project continues. I keep doing my day job without suspicion and help with the design at night. Although I still had no idea what the project was for altogether, I decided to continue working on it. The project seemed to have more secrecy than any other project, just like the manhattan project from World War 2. After one month went by, and all of Alabama was swept for a body count, it was declared about seven million people perished that day. Everyone around the workplace could not believe the horror that happened in Alabama that day. Although we knew nothing would happen, the president came out that day to address the horrors. 

          The president was secured by many guards, and the coverage that day was completely tight and secure. Even though the president thought he was safe, a loud explosion happened in the distance during the live coverage. Everyone was shocked, and the president has moved out accordingly. Secret service guards and sentries around him started dying, but journalists were still alive. Nobody knew what was going on, except one journalist caught some hunter-killer drones on the move, and stopped filming. As the news channels shut off, law enforcement came into the building and told all of us that work was done for the day, and nationwide, everyone is to stay in their homes for the remainder of the week. 

          Since it was Thursday, we had legally a four day weekend for no special occasion. I decided to enjoy those four days and start designing a virtual reality game just like all of those famous game companies nowadays. It took me two days of fun and I finally completed the game according to. I knew it wouldn't be famous like other games, but I post it on social media for people to play. Since nationwide nobody was allowed to go to work, a substantial amount of people started playing the game. I felt really good about what I made until I saw the news on the day after I published the game. The news shocked everyone I knew that day.

          "An individual organization unknown has spouted out of the Mediterranean with a big project to harness unlimited technology to power all of Europe and Asia...", the news lady shouted near the helicopter. As the drone footage showed a large glowing orb near the center of the sea, sucking in large amounts of water. The news lady continued to say, "as the day goes on, the orb will grow larger and pulse faster until sending a large electronic pulse throughout the two continents..." I had no clue what the orb would do or how it works until I showed up to my workplace next week, and heard what the head of my project had to say.

          As I went into my workplace, the leader of the project yells, "THIS IS A NIGHTMARE! The orb will create a massive black hole gradually sucking the earth in slowly, and in a hundred years, THE ENTIRE EARTH WILL BE SUCKED IN!". He runs around the lab thinking about what to do as all the workers remained confused. Soon enough, when he became calmer, he decided to overtime the project completely. I had no idea what that meant to me until the next day. The next day, he and two other scientists walked into our building, paid my boss 100k, and paid me another 100k to work full time at his office. I accepted and moved my things out of this office and into the lab. 

          Another month passed by, and the workers in the office made sure that the project was completed. We realized this project was a rocket that was 100 million times faster, and more powerful than the original Saturn V sent almost half a century ago. The rocket was large and majestic, worked on by almost 500 scientists and builders altogether. The design was futuristic and nothing like we have ever seen before. When we finished, the leader calls us all over to the meeting room, and four guards guarding the entrance. He takes five minutes to make sure everyone he wants is sitting in that room.

          "Welcome everyone to the newest developed rocket there is. For all the time you were working on this project, you have not known the reason. The project's name is Payload 327. The rocket is designed to go into space and evacuate in case of a disaster. I decided to assign every single one of you this project full time in order to make sure the disaster doesn't strike at any time. This video will explain to you the rest of your plights." He comes towards the audience and sits down with the rest of us. He pulls out his remote, and the wall in the surrounding area lights up. A man comes up on the screen and starts speaking to the audience.

          "Ever since 2020, many technological developments started coming out, and people have used it towards the many advantages listed. The cybertruck was the first futuristic revolutionary idea, but ever since, people have used it towards their advantages to make weapons, armor, robots, ships, hovercrafts, and etc... With all of this technology publicized, it could possibly fall into the wrong hands, or used for fights and skirmishes, no matter how petty they are. With our project, Payload 327 will be a revolutionary change to our way of escaping and restarting a new world for us."

          Everyone in the room clapped furiously, and I have to admit, the screenplay and CGI that was used was very impressive. The leader calmed us all down, and let us out early for the day, as we were to load the craft soon enough. We will soon be on our way to the future that we imagined, just as the man in the video was saying. I went home that night, for once knowing that our future as humans may not be so bad after all. I went in to meet our director once again, Doctor Fassenheimer, who coincidentally was waiting for me, and said, "Hey, nice job on completing the works, I wanted to invite you to my new year's party next month if that is okay for you..." I smiled and responded, "Yes sir, I would love to come." He then turned around and said, "Well you did an amazing job, go home and get some rest." I nodded, left the room and went outside. All was well for now, and everything was set in place .