Everything Natasha Loves (and hates) about Maria Hill

Natasha loves the way Maria kisses. The way her tongue runs smooth on her lips as she begs for more. How she kisses slow, kisses hungrily, kisses for all its worth. And on Sunday mornings when they have all the time in the world, Maria still doesn't waste a moment before capturing her lips. The way Maria kisses is Natasha's favorite.

Natasha hates how Maria leaves clothes on the floor. Will run them through the wash and fold them into neat stacks before depositing them onto the ground. She'll discard clothes before bed and leave them there until she needs them again. She steps over all the stacks before work and chooses one from the closet, sealing its fate to life on the floor. And Natasha hates it but she leaves the clothes where they are because Maria swears up and down that she has a system. Every Sunday — as a new week starts — she'll pick up all her clothes, wash the few dirty ones, and put the rest away into their temporary spots in the drawer.

Natasha loves how Maria cooks. She almost never uses a recipe, insisting that she do it the way her Granny taught her. She adds a dash of this and a pinch of that, never repeating the same process twice. She wrinkles her nose in concentration as soft music plays in the background. And when Natasha offers to help, Maria will usher her away with a kiss on the cheek and a hand on the small of her back. Never will she let Natasha do the dishes, instead cleaning up as she goes. The food she cooks is like heaven on Earth but Natasha thinks it's not nearly as amazing as Maria herself.

Natasha hates how Maria talks with her mouth full. She's polite, having manners instilled in her from a young age. But when she catches up with Natasha over dinner, her excitement gets the best of her and she opens her mouth excitedly. Often, she covers her mouth with one hand but continues to talk, eyes lighting up as she does. She'll blabber on and on as she talks with Natasha, too caught up in what they're talking about to remember what's polite and what's not. It's not graceful, it's not cute, but it's Maria.

Natasha loves Maria's hair. Often, she'll wake up with a mouthful of it because God, it's gotten long and it's thick and it gets everywhere. And when Maria rolls out of bed in the morning, her hair sticks out in ten different directions and it takes her almost half an hour just to brush out all the knots. When she comes home at night, her hair is frizzy and not nearly as neat as it was when she'd left for work. But it's also the softest thing Natasha's ever felt and she loves tangling her fingers in it as they kiss.

Natasha hates the way Maria brushes her teeth. She does it before she eats, cleaning her teeth thoroughly and making sure to use mouth wash after. Then, and only then, will Maria eat breakfast. She claims it's the way she was taught as a child but Natasha hates it all the same as she ruins her minty fresh breath with a cup of coffee and oatmeal. Sure, it's a small thing but Natasha thinks it's just entirely wrong.

Natasha loves the way Maria moves. Her motions are fluid, smooth like the stones at the bottom of a river. She moves like she knows what she's doing, always self-assured. And even when Maria's confidence wavers, she moves with an air of power around her. Even when they lay in bed, Maria is deliberate — like she's got the entire world backing her as she traces patterns into Natasha's skin. She doesn't hesitate, doesn't stutter, and Natasha loves her for it.

Natasha hates how reckless Maria is. She's passionate, dives headfirst into everything she does even if it might get her killed. Natasha thinks sometimes that Maria has never once thought before she lets words come out of her mouth, not putting a filter on the thoughts that flow out. Sometimes, Maria takes risks. Risks that aren't worth their consequences — at least, not to Natasha — but she stands behind her anyway as Maria does something stupid. Always there to offer a helping hand if it's needed.

Natasha loves Maria. She loves her rough edges and her sharp words. All her freckled skin and twinkling eyes. The way she snorts when she laughs and hides a smile behind her hand when she's not supposed to be laughing. How she knows the rules backwards and forwards but sometimes ignores them anyway. Even how Maria collects every lucky penny off the street despite claiming she doesn't believe in superstitions.

Natasha loves Maria, plain and simple.