Chapter 8

Chapter 8

    Peter was a little bit worried about taking Beck to the Avengers home base. He knew his friend didn't have much of a filter. He hoped he wouldn't say anything too terrible. He had called Beck and told him to meet him at his house after Tony said he'd send a car to pick them up. His friend was bouncing slightly next to him while they waited for Tony.

    "So you really know Tony Stark?"

    "Yes, I really know Tony Stark?"

    "He's so cool, man," Beck was nervously pacing now, "Oh my god, what if he thinks my suit is really shitty? What if I'm like completely embarrassing?"

    "He seemed pretty impressed when he called me."

    "Maybe he was just kidding," Beck ran a hand through his hair and fixed his glasses, "Maybe I won't show him the suit...."

    "Beck."

    "Maybe I should just talk about it and make it seem like cooler than it is..."

    "Beck."

    "But then he'll find out when he actually does see it and-"

    "BECK."

    "Huh?" Beck looked at him.

    "You need to stop. You're stressing ME out and I know Tony," Peter shook his head.

    "Sorry," Beck took a deep breath and nodded, "I'm okay...I still can't believe MJ threw my vape on the train tracks in the subway yesterday."

    "I can," Peter rolled his eyes. The car showed up and the window rolled down. Tony gave him a smile and Peter heard his friend let out a horrified squeak behind him.

    "Hey kid."

    "Hi, Mr. Stark."

    "Is this your friend?" Tony gestured at Beck and Peter nodded.

    "Yeah. Uh, we should probably get in before he passes out."

    Tony snorted and unlocked the doors, "In the back."

    Peter opened the back door and made sure Beck got in first before he sat down with him.

    "So, Spider-Man, how have you been?" Tony asked, completely ignoring Beck and Peter didn't know if that was for better or for worse.

    "Uh...I've been good. We did a little city patrol last week but it wasn't anything that big...," Peter nodded, "Like, not an avengers level threat..."

    Tony nodded, "Right. Well, Clint and Tasha are out with Wanda and Vision doing superhero stuff unless they got back before I left. Rhodey is here....Scott, you remember Scott, right?"

    "Yeah, big guy....," Peter nodded, "Or little guy..."

    "Steve's probably there...Thor isn't and neither is his group of weird friends," Tony shook his head, "So not a huge welcome wagon for our new friend."

    Peter nodded, "That's actually probably better..."

    Tony finally turned around in his seat to look at them and Peter both felt and heard Beck inhale quickly next to him, "So you're Mystery Man, huh?"

    "Uh....y-yeah," Beck choked out, "I...I go by Mysterio but...but that's okay..."

    "So you and Parker teamed up in Europe and got a lot of attention, bubble boy," Tony nodded, "From both bad and good people."

    Peter tried to gesture at Tony to cut the nicknames at least for now since his friend literally idolized him but Tony didn't notice.

    Beck seemed to go incredibly still for a moment and Peter glanced at him to see how oddly relaxed he looked. Uh oh. "I know...when Peter told me that you wanted to meet me, I was really excited...I've always really admired Ego-Man."