2

^Hendrix

Evangeline's pov

"Hendrix slow down!", I shouted

"But I almost got hi- woah!", Hendrix screamed

I watched in amusement as my little brother got his foot caught in a noose trap he himself set up a few days ago. Now he was hanging upside down with his face turning scarlet. I try and fail to hold back my laughter.

"Don't just stand there, help me down", he whined

"You should've been paying attention to where you put your own traps mister." I go over to him and untie his foot, letting him fall, but just before hitting the uneven forest floor, I summon the air to act as a cushion and let him float down.

"Thanks. But the boar got away."

"And I'm sure we'll see him again. But we have some errands to run remember?"

"Yeah alright. I'll go clean up then." Hendrix marched back to the house and I followed suit.

17 years ago today, I was born and adopted by a young warrior couple. I don't know how I ended up in a forest, but as far as my parents know, it seems that I was kidnapped. They saved me from my captors, but had no way of knowing where I came from, only that I had just been born that same night. And so they decided to adopt me. Several years later, they had Hendrix, my 14 year old brother.

Our parents, Liam and Cynthia Rathbone, trained us in many forms of close and ranged combat. And their friends, Mia and Kade, taught us magic. Not everyone is able to use magic, but most people have a standard ability to learn the basics and use at least one element. And others, like myself, have a strong affinity for it. Sometimes I even wonder if that has anything to do with the sun birthmark on my right inner wrist.

Today, Hendrix and I have to go into Market Plaza to pick up some ingredients for my birthday. We rarely go into civilization, preferring our seclusion on the other side of the Navi forest. But some things can't be found in the wilderness.

After washing up and getting ready, Hendrix and I meet mum in the kitchen.

"You two look ready. Here's the list", mum says

"Yeah, we're ready. Where's dad?", I ask

"He's making firewood. Go see him and get the money for the ingredients. Don't stay out too long or we won't have time to cook."

"Sure mum. We'll be quick."

"Bye mum", Hendrix says giving mum a kiss on the cheek

Heading out back, we see dad hard at work making and chopping tons of firewood. Of course, we don't keep all this wood for ourselves. Dad has a technique to dry the wood perfectly and we sell it in nearby villages and towns. The best firewood needs to be dry enough while retaining some of its moisture. That way it doesn't produce too much smoke when burning. The summer season is almost ending so the wood will be in higher demand. Especially since dad doesn't need a whole year to prepare it like most others. His affinity for fire and water magic can attest to that.

"Hey dad, maybe you should take a break", I say

"I will Evie. Just as soon as I finish this next batch."

"Fine. Anyways, we're going into town so we need some money."

"Ah right." Dad stops chopping and fishes a pouch of coins from his pocket and tosses it to me. "If there's any money left, bring back some gold honeydews."

"Sure thing. See ya later dad."

Hendrix and I mount our horses, Iris and Jax, and start making our way through the forest. Iris is a twilight horse that I tamed in the Navi forest. Twilight horses' coats resemble a twilight sky just before night fall. And their manes and tails are undying white flames.  At first, touching the flames burns and can even kill if the horse uses its power. But after taming a twilight horse, the flames no longer harm the tamer. Iris was still a filly when I found her a year ago but now she's fully grown. And Jax is a young colt born from mum and dad's horses, Braxton and Ellie. Hendrix and Jax bonded super fast as soon as it was safe for Hendrix to ride. And although it sometimes seems like Jax is smitten with Iris, he's intimidated, her being a flaming horse and all.