3

Evangeline^

Evangeline's pov

"Evie.. Evie.. EVIE WAKE UP!", Hendrix shouted in my ear

"Ugh! Shut up Hendrix, I'm up. What do you want?"

"Nothing. Mum said to wake you 'cause it's time to set off. It's half a days ride to the academy and it's 2 p.m."

"2?! Why did you let me sleep so long?"

"You stayed up all night packing so mum said to let you sleep. But you've gotta go soon if you want to arrive before the opening ceremony. Also, dad has something to give you before you leave."

"What is it?"

"No clue."

Hendrix turns around and leaves my room. I peek at the two large luggage bags sitting at the foot of my bed and sigh. The whole week since my birthday, I'd procrastinated on packing my stuff up until last night. I've never been away from home before and it's kind of freaking me out.

Uncle Kade explained that enrollment at McGriffith is five years long, but it'll be four for me when I pass the placement test. And I'll be able to come home for the winter hiatus and summer vacation as well as a short spring break.

I keep telling myself I'll be fine, but even I'm not sure of my words. Part of it all is that I might get home sick. But there's also the fact that I haven't had all that much interaction with people my own age besides when passing through the closest towns. It'll be a completely new environment and experience for me; but that's probably the best reason for me to go.

Heaving a sigh, I get out of bed and get ready. After making sure I have everything, I call Hendrix back to help me bring it all outside. A minute later, mum and dad both come outside to join us.

"Hey mum and dad", I greet them, "where's the wagon?"

"Hi Evie. You won't be needing the wagon for the trip", mum says

"Why not?"

Mum nudges dad forward and he takes out a small black pouch.

"Well we have one more little gift for you Evie", dad says, "It's a spatial ring." He pulls out a red ring with white lining the rims.

"No way, seriously? How much space is in it?"

"There's no limit on how much space is inside, but rather the size of what you store in it. So you can't put any individual items weighing more than 100 pounds or the average 11 year old. Although we don't recommend storing people in there", mum says

"So I can fit all my luggage and weapons in it. But what is stopping someone from slipping it off my finger?"

"There's an easy solution for that. But you'll have to prick your finger again. Then only you can take it off."

"At this rate, I might pass out from blood loss."

My parents smile sheepishly as I prick my finger once again and let a drop of blood fall onto the red and white ring. The white parts glow briefly before my blood gets completely absorbed by the ring.

"Okay, how does this work?"

"Well you have to actually put it on first", dad says chuckling, "Then you just have to will what you want to go in or out of it. Try it with that small branch."

I put on the ring and locate my branch. He said I have to will what I want into it so it's a mental thing. But rather than telekinesis, it's more like mentally teleporting stuff from one location to another.

With that in mind, I focus on the branch, willing it to go into the spatial ring. Instead of simply disappearing like I thought, the branch moved toward my hand before quickly being sucked into the ring. Then I try to do the reverse and after a minute, the branch is in my hand.