Chapter 12

I know this chapter is short, but I plan on uploading another one soon that will be longer. This is like an interlude.

Christmas came and Max brought everyone the gifts they wanted. Nora opened hers and found a piece of paper inside. On it was written: 'Look outside'. She looked outside and gasped in amazement as the snow started to fall.

"Merry Christmas, Nora!" said Max with a smile before turning to the rest of the family. "Happy Christmas everyone!"

Nora hugged her older brother. "This is the best Christmas ever! Thank you, Max!"

Max returned the hug. "You're welcome."

The rest of the family went outside to play in the snow, except Max who was content to just watch them play happily. He registered the precious memory into his head because he knew that the happy times would not last.

"Tell me something," hissed a voice in his ear as a chill ran down his spine. He felt two cold hands rest on his shoulder. "Do you think doing all those good deeds will absolve you of your sins?" evil Phoebe asked.

Max avoided her crimson gaze, opting instead to look at the happy family playing in front of him. That image represents what he cherished and fight for. "No. There is no forgiving what I've done. What I'm going to do."

Max dodged the slash from his invisible enemy and countered with a slash of his own. Since he couldn't find someone to teach him how to use a sword, he has created a program that will teach. It's a simple program based on VR with joysticks. One might argue that it's only a game and they would be correct. However, even games can be used for learning and Max is learning different sword fighting techniques, how to do faints, predict opponent's movement based on their stance and how they hold their weapon and so much more. While he may not reach the assassin's level with the blade, he could at least hold his own and with his suit and his extra training he will be able to cross the gap between them. Max paused for some water. He had been training for several hours.

"When are you going to go out as White Knight again?" asked Colosso.

"After Chloe's born."

"Why so late?"

"While I screwed up the timeline, I still need some things to be the same such as Phoebe getting her cape by saving me from King Crab."

"Hey Max," called Phoebe as she entered his lair. "Wanna watch some tv?"

"Sure."

The two of them watch some action flick. More accurately Max pretended to watch it as Phoebe glanced every so often at him.

"Hey Pheebs," said Max.

"Yeah?"

"Don't ever become a spy, you suck at it. You can't even look at me without being caught."

"Wha? I'm not looking at you," she stuttered, her cheeks tinted pink for being discovered.

"Of course you weren't. Now would you mind telling why do you study me?"

Phoebe sighed. "I just can't believe how much you've changed that there are times where I feel like I don't even know you. You stopped pulling pranks, being nice to people, you barely go out anymore and you did good deeds. What changed?"

He sighed. He knew this question would come up eventually, but he didn't have a real answer. "I don't know. I grew tired of how things were."

"Well, I'm glad that things turned out like this," she said with a smile. "I like that we are so close

The young man returned the smile. "Me too. I want you to know that even if I might not be around, I will always have your back, no matter what. I Thunder swear."

"I Thunder swear too that I will always be there for you."

The twins watched the movie in silence, however, it was a comfortable silence.

Thank you for reading. If you have any feedback leave a review or PM me