Ch. 36

"You're an idiot you know that right," Finneas points out

"Is it really that bad?"

"The love of your life asked you to spend the night after telling you some deep shit and you still left. I would say that's pretty bad."

I groan. "Fuck me."

Finneas was the only person I thought could help me in this situation because he's a hopeless romantic. I got freaked out last night and not because Alissa has a kid, but because I felt insecure. Now I'm sitting at home feeling like an asshole.

"Last night was the perfect opportunity to show her how much you want to be there for her and you blew it dude."

"So what do I do now? You think she'll even talk to me?"

"Well you do have to see her at that meeting. Feel her out then and go from there. You just need to be honest about why you left."

I decide to take his advice and just be honest with her. When I show up for the meeting I'm told she isn't in today and we proceed without her. The entire time I'm checking the phone impatiently waiting for the meeting to end. Once it's over I quickly excuse myself and head to Alissa's place. I pick up some flowers along the way and a bear for Mila.

Standing in front of her door, I take a deep breath before knocking repeatedly.

"Who is it," she calls out.

"Billie," I say nervously. The sound of the locks fill my ears as she unlocks each one. The door swings open and she glares at me. 

"Can we talk for a minute?"

"Sure," she steps aside allowing me to come in. Mila is sitting on the couch watching Frozen.

"What's going on Billie?"

"Well first, these are for you," I hand the flowers to her and she sits them on the counter, clearly unimpressed.

"Second. I'm sorry Alissa. I shouldn't have left last night. I just got a little freaked out."

"I figured. A kid is a big deal."

I shake my head. "It wasn't because of that. Hearing you talk about all that stuff made me feel insecure. The love of my life was telling me how much she loved someone else and you got a perfect little girl out of that love and commitment. It made me realize how much I actually wanted all of that with you and I fucked it up."

Her eyes turn sad. "I wanted that too. Billie I was madly in love with you. I know it doesn't mean much now, but I really did want to marry you," she says. Hearing her say all this in past tense sucks, but I know things are different now.

"Let's just focus on being friends instead of harping on the past. At least we are back in each other's lives," she smiles.

"I think I can do that."