6. I Become the Supreme Lady of the Bathroom

CHAPTER SIX

I Become the Supreme Lady of the Bathroom

I don't own Percy Jackson.

While Percy tried to get over the shock that her teacher was a centaur, Will launched into his medical checkup to see if she really was suited to leave the infirmary. She wanted to protest that he had literally been sitting next to her the entire time and knew she was fine, but he insisted that it was just basic procedure and that, as one of the medics, it was his duty. He might've been at camp for four years and was considered a senior camper, but he explained that he was only second in command, and that his brother, Lee, would murder him if he just let a patient go without a checkup.

Before leaving, Chiron had asked Will if he could take over showing Percy around the camp—apparently he had a masters' archery class soon or something, and with Will being required to ensure that Percy was really ready to leave, he wouldn't have any time to do the tour. Will had smiled and agreed, though, privately, Percy thought that he wouldn't have been able to protest. Still, she was slightly relieved that it was him. She shuddered to think if it ended up being the Annabeth girl who had been forced to show her around. She had a feeling that Annabeth didn't like her, which was strange, because she was sure that she hadn't done anything to the blonde girl.

She got the answer to her question, however—upon asking him how he knew what he was doing and whether or not he was qualified, Will explained that he was the son of Apollo, who was the god of medicine (and healing, technically, though his son Asclepius was the true god of healing), and so healing was just one of the natural gifts he had inherited. Percy found it rather unfair that he was better at medicine than people who had practiced even their whole lives, but she knew better than to voice her opinion out loud. She wondered what other skills Will gained from Apollo. From what she recalled, he was the god of a thousand things, it seemed.

At last, after what felt like hours of poking, muttering, and interrogating, Will was satisfied that she was healthy enough to leave (which she already had, but decided not to point out). He warned her against too taxing activities since her body was still slowly healing, but they were minor enough that she probably wouldn't be too bothered by them.

Then they proceeded to have a rather nice tour of the camp.

The first thing that Percy noticed was that most of the campers were older than her. They were all wearing bright orange Camp Half-Blood t-shirts, making Percy wonder faintly if it was a requirement or if it was just because of the society in the camp. She also wondered if people ever asked what Camp Half-Blood was if any of the campers wore their shirts outside of this place.

Percy was so engrossed in her own thoughts that she didn't notice the campers in the volleyball courts staring at her, or the ones that pointed at her Minotaur horn and muttered things to their friends, but that didn't escape Will's notice. He glared at the campers while gesturing toward the court to Percy, as if daring them to continue, which they didn't. Other than Luke and Annabeth, Will was one of the oldest campers too, and despite being twelve, he was still considered to have seniority in a lot of fields. So upon Will's silent warning, the other campers backed down before Percy could notice what they were doing in the first place.

Percy shook her head to clear herself of her thoughts. For now, her one and only job was to concentrate on the tour, which she was already failing. She turned to Will, already preparing to ask a question, but the words died on her lips when she looked at him in surprise.

"You're glowing," she noted. "Did you know that?"

Will just grinned at her. "It's an Apollo thing."

That made sense, she realized. He was only glowing under the sun, emitting a faint, golden aura of some sort. She wondered if all the other children of the gods also had the same ability. Did Ares' kids glow red, and Dionysus' purple, or something? Or had Will been completely serious when he said that it was only an Apollo thing?