Kiss me under the Black Chandelier [One Shot]

Setting: Modern AU, our time.

He couldn't believe his eyes. He never thought that would happen. "Holy shit...", he whispered into the microphone, running his finger through his shaggy brown hair. His friends tricked him into participating at the famous TV show 'The voice' and he made it into the blind auditions. “Hey, what's your name?”, one of the judges asked after the other chairs turned towards the stage. “I- Just call me Hiccup.”, he said, totally thrilled. “I never thought someone would actually hit the buzzer.”, he added, slightly laughing while moving around nervously. “Well, but two judges did. Welcome to the battles, Hiccup.”, the judge laughed and the audience cheered.

“Hiccup.”, the judge on the right side said after finishing his chuckles. “Your voice is really unique and you made a really good choice with this song. It really brings out your voice and if you want, I'll welcome you in my team.” Hiccup's smile grew wide and the audience cheered. “Thanks.”, Hiccup said and turned towards the other judge that hit the buzzer during his performance. “Hic, may I call you Hic?”, he asked and Hiccup just nodded. “Right, so, Hic. You see, I wasn't quite sure whether to press the buzzer or not but than there was this moment and I just – Bam! - I just had to hit that button!”, he said and everyone laughed. Hiccup chuckled.

“Well, by the amount of times you hit that red buzzer, I'm pretty sure you mean it.”, the judge right next to him said and Hiccup chuckled again. “Now, it's time. Who do you want to be your coach?” Hiccup just followed his heart and hoped, that he won't be as maltreat as his coaches buzzer during his performance. Battles, he thought, here I come!

There were a lot of fun people in his team and knowing that he could battle against anyone made him nervous. They all were fantastic singers and he was just, well, Hiccup.

“Alright!”, his voice coach exclaimed as he approached all his members with a smile. “I've got the plans for the battles. Merida, your battle partner will be.... Hiccup.”, he said jolly and Merida looked over to Hiccup. He smiled at her and she smiled back. “The coaching starts in a few hours. Go get to know each other!”, the coach said and both singers went out.

They wandered around the outside of the building. It was sunny and warm. “What do ye think we will sing?”, Merida asked, kicking a pebble over the cobblestones beneath her feet. Hiccup shrugged, hands tucked in the pocket of his baggy jeans. “I hope it's nothing too hard.”, he replied, taking a seat in the shadow of a nearby tree. Merida sat next to him. “So... tell me about ya.”, Merida requested and Hiccup looked at her, confused. Then he laughed and Merida smiled.

“Well, there is nothing much to tell. I like being called Hiccup. My father is in a pretty high position. I'm 21 years old and I have a little sister.” He took his smartphone out of his pocket and showed her a picture of his family. Merida was still smiling. “That's really nice! I have three younger brothers – triplets – my father is the head of a successful company and my mother was a teacher, but she stopped teaching and now she stays at home. Oh and I'm 20 years old.”, Merida replied and got out her smartphone as well, showing him pictures of her family. They got along pretty well and Hiccup felt comfortable around her and she felt the same.

“I got you a song...”, their coach started after greeting them in their practice room. “That is emotional and rock.” Merida and Hiccup looked at each other. Merida with a risen eyebrow and Hiccup with a smile. “Sounds fun. What's it called?”, he asked and the coach handed out the lyrics of a song called 'Black Chandelier' from Biffy Clyro. Merida scanned the lyrics, word by word and found herself lost in the song. “Wanna listen to it?”, the coach asked, already hitting the play button of the sound system.