He is a good guy. [One Shot]

(A/N: so this is really random. Like, random random. The most random thing I ever wrote. Probably because I somehow managed to catch a cold and now I'm pretty sick :/ I hope you enjoy this oneshot anyways)

She felt uncomfortable checking up on her son. He's never been a bad boy, nor has he been popular. It all started after puberty. He grew taller and manlier. He was also quite good looking, no he was really handsome, and she heard him talk about all the girls gone crazy these past years, every morning during breakfast, but he never brought one home or met one.

But things changed. He was gone more often, even during the week. She never knew why and when she asked him he just shrugged.

"I don't know where I went wrong.", Valka said, chopping some carots near the kitchen sink. Her husband chuckled. "You did nothing wrong Val. That's just how boys are.", he said, reading his newspaper. "Oh look. There has been a forest fire near the town." Valka frowned and placed the knive into the sink.

"When?" - "A few weeks ago. They say that some teenagers left some cigs and somehow started the fire." He put down the newspaper and his eyes glanced into the empty mug.

"Kids these days.", he sighed and rose from his chair. She had a bad feeling about this. Her son hasn't been home at that time. She didn't know where he has been.

"Honey...?", she crocked before he left the kitchen. She had a really bad feeling. "Yes, my dear?", he replied turning around, facing her back. She couldn't talk. The thought was just too surreal.

"Valka... you don't think he did it, do you?" She remained silent. He sighed and walked over to her, placed a kiss in her cheek and went into the living room.

That was when the door opened. He walked in and went straight to his room. Valka hurried out of the kitchen. "Hiccup I-", she called out but he already shut the door. "made some food..."

She stayed up several nights and waited for something to happen. Something. Anything. But nothing happened. Weeks passed.

She took a day off, thanks to all the extra hours of work. It was 5 am when she walked into the kitchen.

"Mom?" she turned around, startled, facing her son. He was awake, smelled like he just showered, what he did, and he had a bruise over his left eye.

" Son. Hiccup. What...?", Valka stuttered and Hiccup sighed: "W-Why are you here? Er... I mean why are you awake?"

It was the first time in a month that they talked. He avoided her and his father and both didn't know why.

"I took a day off. What's that over your eye?", she asked, extending her hand towards his forehead. He turned away.

"It's nothing." Her hand drew back as slowly as she extended it. Silence followed, and the only thing that broke it was a knock on the door. Hiccup drew a sharp breath.

Valka walked towards the door and Hiccup's attempt to stop her failed.

She opened the door and was greeted by a head full of red curls and... "Meow!" a cat.

Valka's eyes widen as the girl's smile faded and shock formed on her face. "Oh my god. I-I'm sorry. I- I didn't know-", the girl mumbled but was cut off by Hiccup who shoved himself past his mother to get out: "Sorry. I should have called you. I didn't know either."

The two teens exchanged a smile and Hiccup fondled the black cat, resting on the girl's arms. "Hiccup, what is going on?", the mother asked confused.

He picked up the cat and took a deep breath. "You've heard about the forest fire, right?" - "Oh my god! " - "No no no! It wasn't me... uhmm us. I swear! The bruise? I got it when I saved this two." He gestured towards the girl and the cat.

Valka nodded. "I guess I didn't get the name.", she whispered and the red-head hold her hand out to shake and said: "Sorry. I'm Merida. I'm-" she suddenly stopped and looked over to Hiccup, who nodded. She looked over to Valka and continued.

"I'm Hiccup's girlfriend. He saved me during that fire. I was out, practicing some archery and suddenly heard this little cat cry somewhere in the forest. When I got there, I saw the fire. I managed to get through to him but I couldn't make it out by myself."

Merida petted the cat and smiled at Hiccup, who smiled back. "And then, he came and brought us out there."

Valka was speechless. Hiccup smiled at his mother: "We took it in turns to care for Toothless. It would have been my turn today..."

Valka suddenly went inside, leaving her son and his girlfriend behind.

After a few steps, she turned around again. "Come in already! It is cold out there. Let's get that little cat something to eat. Did you had breakfast Merida?"

They all walked into the kitchen,  making breakfast. Toothless, the cat, walked over the kitchen table while Merida and Valka stood near the fridge, drinking some tea.

Hiccup played with Toothless while feeding him. Valka was happy to spend some time with her son and his girlfriend.  She enjoyed to see him happy. And she always wanted to own a cat.

(A/N: yes the main focus is on Valka in this one but I just got the idea ^^)