Chapter 3

After a couple of hours of messing around and helping Shelby with school, we decided to head to the town square to meet up with Nate for lunch. As soon as we saw Nate, he came running up to us, hooking his arms around Connor and I's necks he pulled us in close for a hug, "How is my favorite set of twins doing today?"

Connor laughed, "Fabulous, how is my favorite brother from another mother?"

"Aww, stop in Connor you're making me blush." Letting go of Connor, Nate turned his face towards me." Now, how about you shorty?"

I shot back without even thinking, "Horrible now that I saw you."

I instantly regretted saying that because Nate brought me closer and then he started rubbing my head with his hand, messing up my hair. He spoke laughing, "What do you mean by that, don't you love me?"

I struggled to escape his grip, "Before this no and because of this never in your wildest dreams."

"What do you mean aren't you-

What he was going to say was cut off by me kicking him in the shin. "Ow!" He exclaimed loudly.

I quickly pushed him away, "Keep your nasty paws off me."

Nate pouted like a little kid, " Damn, I was just trying to show you some love Arden no need to get all mean."

"Just like you love the rest of the girls in the Burrow?"

Before Nate could say something else, Shelby interjected, "Okay you two, knock it off! Now I don't know about you, but I am hungry so let's go."

I'm glad that she said something because Nate had a smirk on his face. Which means I probably wouldn't have liked what he was going to say. 

We walked to Shelby's house where her mom, Diana, was making us food. Diana is one of the cooks in the village. Her job was to cook for feasts and for the purification house. She looks exactly like Shelby except she is plump and her eyes were like a pot of honey. Diana is definitely one of the happiest people in the Burrow, I have never seen her frown.

The moment Diana saw us walking towards her, a big grin was plastered on her face, she came over and hugged me, "How ya' doing sugar?"

I smiled, returning the hug, "I'm doing good Diana, how about you?"

She let me go and continued to hug the rest, "I'm doing good," She walked back to the fire and started stirring the pot, "A little birdy told me that is was Arden and Connor's birthday so I decided to whip up something special."

Connor and I inhaled simultaneously we spoke, "Elk stew."

Diana beamed, "You got it!"

We started eating, Tatum beat me to it, "Delicious as always, thank you, Diana."

After the chorus of thank you's and your welcomes followed. When all of us were finished eating, I spoke, "Can we help you clean up Diana?"

"Oh no dear, I'll make the others help, you twins just sit back and relax."

Connor didn't seem to mind that because he put his feet onto the stump that Nate sat on. It didn't take long between the four of them to get everything cleaned up, maybe ten minutes or so. When they were finished I stood and gave Diana a hug, "Thank you for the wonderful meal."

Diana gave me a squeeze, "No problem honey, it was because of you that I could make such a wonderful meal."

I blushed, releasing Diana.

Waving goodbye to Diana, the group of us started walking to our next destination, the town square. When people aren't working, they go to the square to talk and just have a good time. The town square isn't really a square, it's more like a wide, open area. In the middle of the square is the fire pit; since it's mid-afternoon, the fire isn't lit. Scattered throughout the square there are various logs and stumps for people to lay or sit on. There were a couple of buildings around the square: the town center where Mary is, the infirmary where some of the healers are if they aren't at the purification house. Also, the square is the trade center in the Burrow. We don't use paper or coin money as our ancestors used to, we trade different goods. Although we all get food, water, and firewood rations and items that we use from day to day like bowls and plates. Along with those are goods that the Burrow blacksmith's make like axes, blades, and arrows. As a hunter, I guess you can say I have a discount on some of those goods. The trade center is always bustling with people. There are a couple of smaller buildings where people work: the blacksmith's, woodcarvers, clothes makers, and a couple of other trade makers are located in the square for easy access.